Scuba Diving TV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
Hi Bob,

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I'm glad to see the interest you've sparked in this thread with your idea for starting a new show about diving.

Hopefully, the investors see the potential from this target audience.

It would be nice if during each 42 min. episode you could have a variety of information presented. This would keep it moving at a fast pace for today's non-diving viewers who get bored quickly. It would also appeal to a wider demographic.

You could start with a segment on something that would appeal to the recreational crowd with lots of clear water and pretty fishes. As a a short middle segment you could include something teaching people a bit more about the science behind diving that would also help get educators on board by recommending your show to their classes. End it with a segment that would interest the technical diving crowd, but still appeal to the recreational crowd involving wrecks, caves, ice diving, etc. This would be more of an "adventure diving" segment, which would probably appeal to non-divers enjoying this activity vicariously. Ending on the adventure note would leave them wanting more and looking forward to the next episode.

I'm thinking along the lines of a modern version of the old Jaques Cousteau specials. Of course, most of today's shows about diving wind up looking like Huell Howser style home videos. So it would really be nice if this could all be done with a set of high production values and using a decent DP, but I know that it can be really expensive to go that route to start.
... Christian

Headhunter has said it perfectly
If it was structured as he described , This show would interest a great many viewers, not just scuba divers
Good luck, I sure hope this show gets off the ground (and in the water :D )

DB

(Dr Bill has a tv show ??? )

I would definately watch it. I already watch shows like deep sea detectives and lots of other shows which are less closely scuba-related. Honestly, if it's underwater I'll watch it. I would love to see a show which hsa the traveling diver in mind. Shows different locations, tells what great about the particular location, what sites are must dives, how hard it is to, etc. I would make that a must watch.

If this show becomes a reality, your best viewers are here. You should shamlessly promote it through scubaboard. Or at least let everyone know when and where to watch.

I wonder if any of the scuba companies would be interested in some niche marketing? Not to mention a lot of product placement. Would it help when pitching the show to have a few sponsors in the wing?

Totally separate from that...
Also I am a freelance graphic designer. Currently I do a lot of my work for a company which produces DVDs. I do the package design and art direction for the DVDs as well as design books and presentation materials which accompany the DVDs. If you are interested, I can email samples of my work. If you could use someone like me, even post-production, I would be very interested in working on a show which helps promote scuba.

I think that if people would be willing to watch a show on fishing in a lake, like on Outdoor, then an awful lot more people would be interested in a scuba diving show. I think everyone has fished once or twice in their life and they may or may not like it but I know a lot of people who do not dive that are intrested in some of the things that I tell them when I get back from a dive and they love it.

I know I would Tivo it!

I think this is a fantastic idea, well past due. If it is done well, I think the appeal would be far beyond the SCUBA diving community. I know many non-divers who want to get certified, and others who have no desire but would love to see what life is like in the ocean. As a former TV producer, I also think this would be a great opportunity to be creative with underwater videography and either narration or storylines about the underwater adventures of divers. Doing shows specifically on science diving would further increase the appeal to show what kinds of interesting research is going on in our oceans.

ckaspar:
I think that if people would be willing to watch a show on fishing in a lake, like on Outdoor, then an awful lot more people would be interested in a scuba diving show. I think everyone has fished once or twice in their life and they may or may not like it but I know a lot of people who do not dive that are intrested in some of the things that I tell them when I get back from a dive and they love it.

I know I would Tivo it!

I think the show would get a lot of interest if it involved travel. you could showcase exotic dive destinations like Papua New Guinea, Belize, ect. The show could cover the place's marine life, tourist points of interest, people/history, and nature above water as well as diving. This would bring in non-diving watchers of the discovery channel and travel channel as well as divers who are interested in diving abroad, which would probably cover most of the divers out there. It would also help promote tourism to a degree. It's my humble opinion that when making new tv, esp. new tv that would appeal to divers, travel shows are the way to go. At least that's what I would watch.

Back
Top Bottom