Scuba Diving: One of the most dangerous activities in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are visible now, but they werent there earlier :) When I looked before, but after someone said they posted it said '0 comments'

I think that scuba diving is as dangerous as you want it to be.
It's like driving your car. It could be very dangerous if you do not respect the transit laws, rules and regulations. If you drive at 70 mph is a local street, surely driving could become dangerous for you and the surrounding people.
In scuba diving if you do not respect the rules, it could also be dangerous for you and your surrounding people.
Scuba diving, like driving is based in equipment. Some failures can be handled, some not. Some failures can be overtaken and some will cost your life. Having your gear in good shape and working condition is a must for scuba diving and for driving a car.

My comment:
There's no such thing as "the National SCUBA Diving Association"; so from whence did that comment about SCUBA being so dangerous really originate?
has been removed.

Let's see if the following two milder comments survive

12:46 PM John wrote ...
You realize there is no such thing as the "National SCUBA Diving Association" right?

12:57 PM Steve wrote ...
Yeah, what is the National SCUBA Diving Association? Couldn't even find it on the web.

An interesting comparison is between scuba diving and hill/mountain climbing.

As has probably been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, a unique study was performed in British Columbia in response to a cluster of deaths. I won't go into details, here is a link to a summary of the study and on that same page there's link to the full PDF. In summary: the incidence of death was determined to be 2 per 100,000 dives and incidence of DCI 10 per 100,000 dives.

I am from Slovenia, where mountaineering and hill climbing is considered a national sport. They say that if you haven't been to Triglav, the highest mountain at 2864m, you aren't a Slovenian (to which I reply: so what :) ). Each year quite a few people die in the mountans. I was always interested in comparison between mountaineering and scuba, as far as the safety is concerned and this "article" and video prompted me do do a more thorough search. Eventually I found a B.Sc. work that describes the work of the mountain rescue service and also includes statistics.

The text is in Slovene - not of much use to you, so here's a resumee. Between 1995 and 2004 inclusive (a 10 year period) there were on average (per year): 232 interventions by the rescue service, 255 people rescued, 126 people injured and 30 deaths.

Of course, the problem, as in scuba, is finding the total number of people in the mountains, but the small size of Slovenia makes this a bit easier. The data in the work suggests that on average there are a 500,000 tourists per year arriving in the towns on or near mountains and an average of 100,000 overnight stays in mountain lodges and cabins. But these two figures don't include the people that come out just for a day. It is estimated that in years with good weather, light winter (so the snow thaws early) there are around 3 million visitors each year.

With this (maximum) estimate, the figures are then (per 100,000 visitors, to make them comparable to the BC study): at least 9 people rescued, at least 4 people injured and at least 1 person dead.

So in all, one can conclude that scuba diving is at most a factor of 2, not orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountain/hill climbing.

What's interesting, of course, is the difference in perception, since mountaineering is a socially accepted (almost required) activity and a lot of people do it. I can anticipate that during any future debates about the safety of diving, when I whip up these figures, people will start saying: but that's because some mountaineers aren't prepared physically and mentally, they do not know what they're getting into, they disregard safety rules... Which is of course exacly the same in scuba diving!

Of course in both sports there are situations where the odds are just against you and no ammount of preparation can save you. If you ask me, the chances of having a heart attack are much higher in the mountains, where you have to exert yourself.

But the perception is that scuba is dangerous in itself. And it will probably take some time (if ever) before this changes.

Because it says they can :). Just because they use freedom of speech, doesnt mean they have to let others have it on their site :)

Brain fart, thought he meant on this site lol.

I really wouldn't take this report seriously. There's no mileage for a reporter in talking about people diving responsibly and safely and having an uneventful dive all over the world.

Also, when talking to the non-diving public, media reports resort to the most gratuitous (has to do with death, sex, money or a combination).

My favourite part is the final sentence - after an entire article banging on about how deadly diving is - "For more information on how to scuba dive, you can contact your local dive shop. "

As a rider of motorcycles, I think that there are very few pastimes more dangerous than riding. In scuba, the dangers seem to be related to your own ability, knowledge, and good sense. Riding a motorcycle requires you to put your life on the line in the face of other peoples actions and make decisions based on what you think those other people will do. Those other people are generally in armored vehicles (relatively speaking) and are more apt to drive like they are in impenetrable tanks that can drive themselves.

Compared with riding a motorcycle on public roads, Scuba diving is swimming in a pool.

I would like to see numbers showing the incident of scuba related death that didn't involve heart conditions. From my understanding the majority of scuba related deaths are heart attacks underwater. If these same people were having problems on the jogging trail they might sit down to prevent an actual attack or be rushed to the hospital. You just don't have that option underwater.

I've also heard that an alarming number of new divers are being shot and killed by the scuba police for going below 60'. This fact was reported to my by the equally reputible United International Underwater Scuba Affiliates Association of Instructor Explorers.

Back
Top Bottom