Scuba Diving magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's use your aluminum example above. You have a holed BC, and find yourself at 110' with half a tank of air. You decide to abort the dive. Here will be your math: BP (-6), STA (-3), half-empty tank (0), you (+1 at depth), suit and booties (+9 - 85% due to compression, or +1.5), and weight belt, (-6). A total of 12.5 pounds negative. You ditch the belt. You're still 6.5 pounds negative, but you have air, so you swim it up, eventually hitting the surface around neutral. If you were out of air, the same scenario would have started you only 2.5 pounds negative... Much easier than 7.5 pounds negative.

Not really. -7.5 isn't even slightly difficult to manage. Try -17 sometime - still doable, but not something you'd want to do OOG. But you won't have it happen OOG, because if you're OOG then you won't be -17! :) With a FULL tank you can hoover like crazy on that swim and its ok. It also gets easier as you hoover :)

BTW, the suit - mine anyway loses anywhere from 50-75% of its buoyancy at 110', not 85% :) (How do I know? I've tested it! That's the limit of my resolution though - 2lbs.)

Yeah, you've got the idea. Of course, don't forget to take into account that compression at depth... Most suits are going to lose some 85% of their inherent buoyancy at 100', so the above configuration would be dangerous, IMHO... And even the HP steels not really recommended.

The HP steel argument is horse-feathers.

Those tanks are almost exactly neutral (-1 or so) empty.

Double AL80s are a PAIN IN THE ASS. I've tried them - once. Never again. They BITE. They end up about +8 when they're empty (with the bands and all), and that +8 is right over your BUTT. You want to talk about trim problems? You'll have 'em with that seutp.

A SINGLE AL80 is manageable because its only +4 as it gets close to empty. But it too has some trim issues. The + part comes at the bottom; the tank is NOT balanced, and the top is heavy comparatively. This also makes for some interesting buoyancy shift issues as the air goes away, and is almost entirely responsible for the "stuff the face" problem on the surface as well. HP steelies don't do this - at least to me. They remain fairly well balanced throughout the dive, to the point that I don't notice the shift at all. They certainly don't try to drag my butt upwards, and they don't try to face-plant me on the surface either.

No thanks on the Kool-Aid... I don't like grape :)

I don't think it is materially better than anyone else's. WKPP has lost several people over the years. At least one set of deaths has been reported in their progress reports. They have also bent a LOT of people...

I am VERY interested in learning more details about this, especially as re: the WKPP. Where did you get this info, and can you post a link to any of the resources you used?

Go back through the various years status reports - if they're still there.

I read back through most of them several months ago, and there were various incidents reported in them.

WKPP has NOT been accident-free.

One of GI3s on-the-internet screeds, by the way, is about freediving after scuba, a note in the context of how he does his accelerated deco, in which he notes that WKPP used to send divers down after stage bottles (quickie exposures) after they had been diving support. They stopped doing it after a bunch of them got "hammered" (bent).

Oops.

If you google "WKPP DEATH" you will find some links as well, one of which is:

http://www.wkpp.org/articles/History/todd1.htm

The recent Far death at Ginnie (apparently a GUE-trained individual, but also apparently at this point a freediving incident - at night - solo!) was reported on a number of lists. The info available is somewhat sketchy, and this one is quite recent, so nerves (and family) are understandably still raw.

GUE claims that they are "accident free", but if you look further you will find that their claim is really "anyone who has died using our system did so due to diver error, and thus wasn't really DIR at the time."

That's not quite the same thing now, is it?

Genesis once bubbled...

It was a religious thing. I learned a lot from it and the time that I took from my life with it, and won't make that mistake again.

Hm. I wouldn't mind talking to you about it. Offboard, if you'd like. Shoot me a PM about it, if you're willing to share.

Very interesting.

I don't think it is materially better than anyone else's.

I couldn't tell you. I've never heard a DIR-ite claim a perfect safety record, and I have no idea what the statistics are. My gut feeling is that they are statistically safer than other agencies, but it'd be really interesting to know the actual truth. I wonder where something like that could be found, and if DIR training improves the (already admittedly statistically excellent) dive safety record

WKPP has lost several people over the years. At least one set of deaths has been reported in their progress reports. They have also bent a LOT of people. GUE in general has had people die, including most recently Far (from the west coast, expired here in Florida) and a GUE-trained cave diver who expired in Ginnie not all that long ago (suspected Oxtox hit). I've heard of others, but don't have the details.

I've heard of cases like this, usually in boards over casual discussion such as this. Do you have any proof? Any newspaper articles or anything?

I would love to have some actual stats... That might really be an answer for this constant DIR vs. non-DIR debate.

I have no idea what the real stats are. Like I said, my gut instinct says that statistically, DIR trained divers are considerably safer, but I would really like to know via the numbers.

How do you know that "They have bent a lot of people?"

I don't know of any agency that trumpets its failures, of course, so the lack of full disclosure is not an indictment - its pretty much SOP. DAN doesn't catalogue agencies when compiling their reports to the best of my knowledge either.

Jeez, that's a real shame. You would think that one of the first things they'd look for is the training agency that said that the injured diver could dive.

I'm doing a "virtual dive" followed by a "virtual flight" in the next couple of months at the DAN center at Duke University. I'm playing "Guinea Pig," and plan on having many conversations about deco theory with those on the cutting edge of that medical understanding. (Whatever "cutting edge" there is!)

Maybe this is a question that needs to be asked...

I like the trim and the pack "melting away" in the water - I don't even notice its there.

I'm with you on that one. :D What I was really looking for is your choice of weighting and trim, buoyancy compensator style, and maybe even brand names. Do you dive a Hogarthian rig or an "open water" rig?

GI3 and the Fundamentals book both make the case for ALWAYS having ditchable weight - for the specific purpose discussed below.

I haven't heard that... Or read that. And the DIR-F class taught me specifically what I talked about in my last post, which was that YOU must decide exactly how much ditchable you need, if any.

I disagree [with the idea of needing ditchable weight], in that I disagree with the basic premise.

Agreed. I do most of my diving from a boat out in the middle of the ocean, where separation is possible. The only time I'd really be concerned about wanting to ditch weight is when I'm at the surface, waiting permenantly and indefinitely to be rescued (ie: I'm separated from the boat and lost) In this case, I could ditch anything that wasn't buoyant in order to ensure floatation, if I really needed to. Of course, first I'd have to be diving with no exposure protection whatsoever (which doesn't happen), I'd have to have a complete wing/BC failure (as in, "it will hold NO air, whatsoever), and I'd simultaneously have to be separated from the boat and have been able to get nobody's attention. It'd be a pretty far-fetched possibility, and even then I'd just ditch whatever was negative... Not to mention that I've always got a lift bag and sometimes a surface marker anyway.

No they don't. My SSI books didn't, and neither does a set of PADI books I loooked at. Both list that as an ABSOLUTE last resort. In fact, both make pretty clear that during an ESA, you DO NOT ditch until you get to the surface (THEN you ditch!)

Really? That's not how I remember it.

Page 92, DIR-F manual: "...The diver should be able to remove enough weight (in the form of a weight belt or a canister light) to enable him to swim to the surface." Page 93, DIR-F manual: "Removable weight that allows divers to remove some of their weight (as opposed to all at one time) allows greater control over a buoyant ascent... Depending on how much weight one needs, divers might choose to use a combination of a v-weight and a canister light. Nonetheless, it is important not to overweight the diving rig with too much fixed weight, because it will prevent one from "ditching"the weight..."

Nothin in there that I see says any special order that it must be done in... Like in class, the object in an ESA is to swim to the surface. If you're too heavy to do so, then you need to be able to ditch some of the weight in order to do so. Simple.

Page 93 continues: "Far too many people assume that an easy solution to the weighting problem is to wear a lot of additional weight and then counteract that weight with oversized double wings. Not only will this 'solution' leave a diver carrying far too much weight, it will also put him/her in the same unenviable position of having to struggle with increased resistance caused by the unecessary drag of an oversized BC filled with too much air. As we mentioned earlier, trying to solve the weighting problem by resorting to a double BC system creates more problems that it solves because, while a diver is VERY unlikely to ever have a BC failure, the diver who opts for a double BC system will always be victimized by increased stress and task loading. Furthermore, should this system fail, that latter diver will be in substantially more trouble than the one who, from the outset, had configured their system to survive the loss of buoyancy." Sure, I realize that this sounds like I'm quoting from some sort of "bible." I'm not... It's just JJ, and it's just the opinion as he expressed it. I happen to agree with it, though, and for the same reasons he listed. I am sure that if you took the DIR-F class, the instructor would be willing to prove these points to you. That is, if you ever were interested in taking the class. Matters not to me. You mentioned it, and I'm simply telling you what DIR teaches, that's all.

There's more too, on choosing a cylinder... Page 94: "Choosing the appropriate cylinder depends on several factors; e.g., body size, breathing rate, dive profile and diving environment. Selecting the wrong cylinder contributes to buoyancy control problems, and because of this, to environmental damage and diver risk. Failure to match the appropriate cylinders with the right exposure suit and buoyancy control system can also prove fatal. Most people find that Pressed Steel 104cf steel tanks are great for cave or cold water diving, where heavy thermal insulatoin and dry suits offset negative weighting. For longer dives or larger divers, 120's are also a popular choice. P>For ocean diving in a wet suit, twim aluminum 80's are the cylinder of choice. Divers should never risk their life by being over weighted at the beginning of a dive. If one needs more gas, then they should take an aluminum stage. The buoyancy characteristics of aluminum, especially when filled with helium, are such that ad added weight belt and/or canister ligth provides the necessary ballast that allows the rig to be only reasonably negative when full, neutral when empty, and capable of being swum if the weight is dropped. In cave diving, steel tanks are commonly used with a dry suit, because the must be negative enough to allow the diver to stay down in a low-on-gas emergency. There is nothing worse than being too light to stay off the ceiling while being low on gas and struggling. For this reason, prior to use, a rig must be balanced and weighted to accomodate a no-gas situation. P>Aggressive dives like those conducted in deep water or in overhead environments require ample reserve breathing supplies. Therefore, individuals often prefer larger volume, lower pressure, steel cylinders made by manufacturers like Pressed Steel and Faber; these generally have a working pressure of 2,640 psi. The lower pressure tanks do not require high pressure fills to achieve reasonable gas supply, but allow for higher volumes when necessary. This is especially helpful for partial pressure Nitrox and Trimix fills. Divers using steel tanks should use additional buoyancy in the form of a dry suit to protect them from BC failures."

Okay, a couple of things to note there... JJ does not say, "Dive steels when you're wearing a wet suit, and no more Kool Aid." JJ says, "These are the reasons why aluminum 80's are the cylinders of choice when diving in a wetsuit." He goes further to show why he believes this. From my own humble experience, I agree with him. However, if you can plug in the numbers and get the correct buoyancy characteristics from whatever tank you choose, then so be it. Nobody said that diving steel in a wetsuit = "no DIR." JJ simply said that's what he believes, and this is why... I'm sure that if you showed JJ your math with your tank, he'd say the same thing I did... Can you swim up "X" number of pounds? Simple.

Also, note what he said at the very end about "additional buoyancy in the form of a dry suit to protect them from BC failures." Isn't that pretty much exactly what we were talking about? Who told you that a dry suit couldn't ever, under any circumstances, be used for buoyancy? And if this is the case, then why in the world would you need a redundant bladder? Why would you want to put up with the drag created by one?

Man, I didn't make this Kool Aid... And I can assure you that I didn't run up and just drink it... I studied it for a while until I finally said, "Lemme try it." It was different than I expected, even after all that I thought I knew about it. I really like it. I think you would too. But I swear, I couldn't care less if you had any or not. But so long as you keep staring at it and asking questions, I'll be happy to tell you about it. :D

The amount of weight you need to balance your rig at the surface with no gas (or very little) in the cylinders has NOTHING to do with the type of metal the cylinder is made of!

Oh, I agree completely. The only reason that material is even mentioned is because it's generally accepted that aluminum tanks are the most buoyant tanks you can have.

But however you cut it, you're absolutely right... It's got everything to do with exposure protection and how much gas you have. Everything else should be adjusted correctly from the beginning, and should be a moot point if you're weighted properly.

So you are, if balanced for neutral at the surface with empty tanks, going to be 28lbs negative at that same 100'! Can you swim up 28lbs? I probably cannot. I don't know if you can.

You know, I've never tried... It'd be an interesting thing to learn. I've set myself a personal limit... If it's more than 10 or 12 pounds negative at any point, then I probably need ditchable. Luckily, using my rig of an AL80 and a SS backplate, I've been able to never go over that personal limit.

But if I did, I'd simply use ditchable weight... Probably the SCB+ pockets, since I hate weight belts so much. They also allow me to ditch half my ditchable at a time.

I'm not "overweight", but I still have a (potential) problem!

Ah, okay, I see your point... I don't think we disagree on this topic, I think I just used somewhat misleading verbage when I described the situation.

We're in agreement, I believe.

I can't imagine a SINGLE tank configuration that gets me in trouble though. Let's say I have an HP120. Its got 9lbs of gas in it. With my "heavy wetsuit" exposure protection, which is a 3 mil full suit with a 3 mil hooded vest under it, I have compensation for about 15lbs of suit buoyancy; let's say half that gets lost at 100'. So I am now -16 at depth at the start of the dive. I know I can swim that up (I've tested it.)

Hm.

Firstly, it's my understanding that at 100', you lose much more than just 50% of your suit's inherent buoyancy... I understood it to be more like 85%... Which brings that number up some. And although I'm a very strong swimmer, I don't think I would want to swim up 16 pounds... Especially from 100', when my life depends on it. Are you sure you can swim up that much? Lastly, I believe that, if you look on my website under "Talk" and then "Equipment," you will find information regarding tank buoyancy... And you will find that LP steel tanks are even heavier than HP ones. Add to that a large capacity, full tank, and man, you're going to be swimming up a lot more than 16 pounds!

...And by the way, HP120's are not the most negatively buoyant tank made. In fact, they're probably the LEAST negatively buoyant HP steel tanks made, so we should probably use another example. Something tells me that we could easily find a combination that got you 30 pounds negative with a full tank, if we really tried.

I can also sit on the bottom and breathe some of the gas if I want, and THEN swim it up :) If I find this out at half-empty, I'll be -11-12ish, and that's not even difficult to swim up.

Like I said, I've never actually tried this exercise, but I don't think I'd want to attempt to swim up anything like that.

I can tell you that in my 3/2 mil, I'm positive by about 4 lbs, and that's a real pain when I do freediving without weight. I can't imagine three or four times that. I wouldn't want to do that...

Genesis once bubbled...

Second, you say "what if you're OOG and have NO buddy?" I say "well, how come you're impossibly negative in that case?", because the problem IS the gas volume. If the tanks are dry, that negative buoyancy is GONE. If you can't swim up 10lbs or so of wetsuit compression, you've got bigger problems.

Ah, well said. Why ARE you so negative in that situation?

Well, because of this: You've weighted yourself such that, with empty tanks and an empty wing, you're neutral at 10', right? You've lost 85% buoyancy of your wetsuit at depth, as you mentioned, which would be 15 or 16 pounds, given worst case scenario. Maybe even 20. Would you want to swim that up?

And yes, I'm aware of the fact that your wetsuit will become more buoyant as you swim, effectively helping you. However, I understand that more than 50% of your wetsuit's buoyancy is gone in as little as 33'.

What's that mean? Well... It means that you're going to be swimming up 15 or 16 pounds, with no ditchable, while out of gas, from 100'. At 33 feet, it could be as little as 7 or 8 pounds negative, but for most of the swim, you're stuck with quite a bit of weight, especially if you're weighted for a thick suit.

But what's worse is this... What if for some reason you can't reach your valves, or you have some other sort of problem where you are at the bottom with no ditchable and 25 pounds or more to swim up. Are you kidding me? This doesn't make you wonder?

Why not just make it easy and do the ditchable weight rather than deal with all of these issues?

Actually, I'd argue that a bag is probably the "best" backup, absent a drysuit. Its easy to fill even from a buddy's gas supply, so an inflator malfunction (or a first stage malfunction connected to it) doesn't screw you.

And its easy to control too - if it gets away from you the option always exists to let it go!

Well... Uhhh... Sure. I still think that some of your weight non-ditchable and some of it ditchable would be more appropriate in most cases... And in the case of an AL80 and a 3/2 mil, no ditchable at all. That way, you don't have to rely on gas or your "buddy's gas" or anything.

Not really. Ever tried it? "Over the head" (do it with gas in the wing unless its for real!) works REAL well and REAL fast. In a drysuit you might hang up on the deflation valve, but not in a wetsuit.

Hmmmm... That's how I don (but not how I doff) anyway. It'd be an interesting exercise underwater...

I haven't had any trouble with that at all. In fact, I'm waiting for the new "E" series PST tanks to show up so I can buy some

Funny... That's pretty much the only steel tank that I was considering. Hilarious! 'Course, then I'd have to get the AL backplate instead, and then my weight would be far from my body... Apparently, though, this hasn't bothered you. I may try it.

Interestingly, though, if I did go with an HP "E" series, I think I'd be looking at the HP120... About the size of an AL80 externally, and if I can only get LP fills, I've still got more tank than I did when diving an AL80. And it's neutral when empty.

Well, in salt water, anyway. I imagine that it'd be about a pound negative in fresh.

I refuse to buy the screwball-threaded ones that are out there now, because I want the option of doubling them.

I'm not familiar with what you're talking about... Whatcha mean? I want to be able to double, too... What's the issue?

Absolutely. I can swim up 18lbs, in fact.

Wow... Really? That seems far too much to have to swim up to me. Imagine putting 18 pounds of lift in your BC and trying to swim that down. That doesn't seem excessive to you? 18 pounds is a lot... And I'm a very powerful swimmer!

Maybe I'll give this a try next time I'm diving...

You know, it's not even an issue with AL80's... And I can double them up for less money than the price of a single "E" HP120, which holds less gas and does not have redundant 1st stages... Not to mention that the AL80's can also be used nicely as stages... Wait, why am I looking at an "E" HP120 again? :D

Genesis once bubbled...

But you won't have it happen OOG, because if you're OOG then you won't be -17!

Hm. Okay, let's say that you've had a first stage failure, then. You've got a full tank, and are OOG. Now aren't you going to be -17?

BTW, the suit - mine anyway loses anywhere from 50-75% of its buoyancy at 110', not 85% :) (How do I know? I've tested it! That's the limit of my resolution though - 2lbs.)

Hm. Well, I haven't... It'd be an interesting test. I'll put that together sometime.

I've been going on what I was taught by both my PADI and my GUE instructors... I believe it to be true that at 4 ATA, you're going to have a loss of some 80% to 85% buoyancy. I understand, too, that it has to do a lot with the brand and quality of your wetsuit, so perhaps it varies.

I can't imagine that it's less than 70%, though.

The HP steel argument is horse-feathers.

Those tanks are almost exactly neutral (-1 or so) empty.
So what? The point is that AL tanks require some weight to keep them negative at the end of the dive, meaning that you've got weight that is potentially ditchable, should that be an issue.

You say it never is an issue. I say it can be, and as such, you should be able to ditch if you need to. With steel tanks, you can't ditch.

Case in point... Wouldn't you rather have a stage that goes from 3 pounds neg to 3 pounds pos, with a mid-swing at zero? It never pulls either way from you very much, and as such is very managable. A full steel stage is very negative at the beginning of the dive, when it's a pain to deal with. Sure, it's pleasant by the end of the dive, but a pain to start with... Why would you want that? Why would you pay MORE MONEY to have this feature?

And if you don't want stages like that, then why would you want backgas tanks like that?

Double AL80s are a PAIN IN THE ASS. I've tried them - once. Never again. They BITE. They end up about +8 when they're empty (with the bands and all), and that +8 is right over your BUTT. You want to talk about trim problems? You'll have 'em with that seutp.

Oh, gimme a break. We all learned on AL80's... Didn't you? Anywhere you go, they rent AL80's. They're the most widely used tank on the market!

And they're never 8 pounds positive. In fact, if you check the chart I have on my website, you'll see that many of them have the same characteristics as some of the more neutral HP steelies. The "worst offenders" (in your eyes) are MAX 4 pounds positive at the end of the dive, and that's in salt water, on a completely empty tank. 200-500 psi in an AL80 (the end of the dive) in freshwater would be much closer to 1 or 2 pounds positive, not 8.

Also, if your tank is centered over your butt, then you're not wearing it right. :D A buoyant tank should feel exactly like a buoyant wing. If it throws out your trim, then you're not trimmed properly.

No thanks on the Kool-Aid... I don't like grape :)

Heheheee...

I have news for you... We might disagree a little on some points, but I think whatever it is that you're drinkin' there might look a little more like Kool Aid than you think. :D

The recent Far death at Ginnie (apparently a GUE-trained individual, but also apparently at this point a freediving incident - at night - solo!) was reported on a number of lists.

I was freediving tonight... At night... Solo.

Scary, hunh? :D

Was it DIR? I dunno... I never thought about it. I don't log my freedives, and so I don't consider them scuba dives. And since I don't consider them scuba dives, it never dawned on me that DIR would have anything to do with my freediving.

Do I have to wear a backplate and wings to freedive? Do I have to wear an AL80 to freedive in a wetsuit?

Do you see how rediculous this is?

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that DIR does not apply to freediving.

Similarly, if a DIR individual was involved in a car accident and died, I would not say that "there was a DIR fatality" or that "the accident was related to DIR" or that "DIR does not have a perfect record because of it."

That's just hogwash.

Freediving is good for the body, and good for the soul. Sometimes I do some laps in the local pool alone, too. This does not make me "anti-DIR" just because I did something in the water and wasn't wearing a long hose.

In light of this, I can completely understand how GUE would claim that this person was not diving DIR at the time. In fact, if I were them, I'd go so far as to say that this person wasn't even scuba diving at the time!

Man, Gen... You're really reaching, man. :(

Those deaths you mentioned in the WKPP were over a decade ago... And very much the reason why DIR was created. They're also the reason why GI3 is so very passionate and unbending about the tenants of DIR. (Or actually, the "tenants of DIR according to GI3," because they do differ slightly from what other DIR instructors are teaching.)

Bottom line: These are irrelevant and misleading instances you are pointing out. Show me a DIR diver who was scuba diving in accordance to DIR and how they died from it. I'm not saying that they are not out there... I never said that GUE has a perfect safety record, or even that the WKPP has a perfect safety record (although that's what I understood). What I'm saying is, "Show me where a DIR diver died while diving DIR."

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
This thread is poorly titled. I think I'm going to change it to the

SeaJay and Genesis Kool-Aid debate

Heheheheeee...

Well, if it helps any more people to pick up the book and read, then I'll debate all night long. :D I'm not saying that DIR is the way to go... I'm just saying that it pays to learn, and then digest it for yourself, that's all.

I've heard of cases like this, usually in boards over casual discussion such as this. Do you have any proof? Any newspaper articles or anything?

I would love to have some actual stats... That might really be an answer for this constant DIR vs. non-DIR debate.

I have no idea what the real stats are. Like I said, my gut instinct says that statistically, DIR trained divers are considerably safer, but I would really like to know via the numbers.

How do you know that "They have bent a lot of people?"

The Far death was reported in the papers. He was a pretty-well-known DIRite out west, and it got plenty of attention on the boards. The newspaper accounts left something to be desired, which is pretty normal when it comes to diver accidents....

As for the "bent a lot of people", that's GI3s own admission in his screed about accelerated deco.....

There was also an excerpt from Quest posted on Usenet relating to the Britannic expedition and some DCI hits suffered there. It had been rumored, and when questioned GI3 pretty much blasted the idea of reporting it (why George? Is there something wrong with learning when YOU screw up, or is this about protecting GUE's "reputation" rather than learning from mistakes?!)

I'm with you on that one. What I was really looking for is your choice of weighting and trim, buoyancy compensator style, and maybe even brand names. Do you dive a Hogarthian rig or an "open water" rig?

BP+Wing (both Halcyon), soft-pack weight belt, SP Mk25/S600/R380, 7' long host and bungied backup :)

HP120s, HP100s and HP80s all have roughly the same buoyancy characteristics. All three are about -1 empty.

The older PST HP tanks (which are the only galvanized ones, and thus the only ones I want in salt water!) do not have the standard 3/4" neck threads. This bites, as it SEVERELY limits your manifold choices. The new ones DO.

I'm considering a pair of HP100s, in that I get more gas, they are MUCH smaller (and lighter!) than AL80s, have nice buoyancy, center over your back (since they're nice and short) and would make a killer pair of "light" doubles (good to 200' or so w/a single stage or deco bottle), which should take care of me for quite some time. They're also light enough to dive as doubles for spearing, which gives me redundancy and lets me do (at least) two rec-length dives off one fill, with lots of spare gas.

As for swimming up significant amounts of weight, that's what split fins are for - THRUST! :) In all seriousness, they're amazing in that department.

The stage argument is entirely different on the tanks. There you want a tank that is as close to neutral when you START with it as you can get, since it affects your buoyancy all the time. The only problem with an AL80 as a stage is that empty is a +4 "thing", although you might get that back to +2 with the reg + SPG attached to it.

The double AL80s being +8 was for DOUBLES. I dive them as singles, and as I said, they're not all THAT bad in that regard. But as doubles they bite. The shift is quite ugly in terms of where it comes.

Bottom line: These are irrelevant and misleading instances you are pointing out. Show me a DIR diver who was scuba diving in accordance to DIR and how they died from it. I'm not saying that they are not out there... I never said that GUE has a perfect safety record, or even that the WKPP has a perfect safety record (although that's what I understood). What I'm saying is, "Show me where a DIR diver died while diving DIR."

Bad example.

Show me a diver who died while diving ANY of the existing systems, and while following ALL of their credos.

Remember, those who dive solo are immediately excluded, since all the agencies say "don't do that". All those with "bad buddies" are likewise excluded, for the same reason. So are those operating below the MOD of a mix, etc.

The fact of the matter is that accidents are, well, accidents! They happen BECAUSE someone screws up.

That's a given.

Its not fair to say that DIR has a "perfect safety record" if you immediately exclude a DIR-style-diver if he or she violates some tenet of DIR while making their dive. After all, humans are fallible. That's usually how we have accidents, no?

Its like GI3s screeds about the Inspiration RB. Guy puts it on, DOES NOT CHECK to see if its watertight, jumps in, its not, he drowns. GI3 goes on a screed about how its the "deathspiration." Yet the system did not fail - the checklist wasn't followed! Or the guy who gets in the water with the handsets beeping like mad that they're unhappy with the performance of the sensors. Its like getting in the water and sucking on a cylinder marked "MOD 70" at 200' - you die. Are you any less dead because you were diving "DIR" and screwed up?

I argue that its grossly unfair to say that the "one true DIR way" is not subject to indictment when someone does something that is "not DIR" and dies, even though they were GUE-trained.

Let's look at dive accidents in total.

Some quarter of them are coronary "events". Many of those people have had no warning prior to their heart attack. In fact, statistically, 80% of the time you have no warning. That's just the way it works. A guy I went to school with passed last summer this way - he was 39, ran marathons, was definitely one of those "DIR-style" physical fitness folks. No risk factors he knew of. Avid diver too. Was driving down the road and had a sudden and fatal coronary. End of line. It happens. You can't charge that off to a "dive training standard" issue.

If the "rules" of accident analysis do not permit you to "charge off" an accident if someone doesn't perfectly follow some diving system, then PADI, NAUI, SSI, TDI, IANTD and the rest can't be "charged" with 90+% of the accidents that happen, because the simple fact of the matter is that none of them preach losing your deco gas, ascending too fast, running out of air, or any one of the other "usual sins".

The point is that an accident IS an accident! It happens BECAUSE you screw up in some way, for the most part.

Look at the recent death off the NE coast - wreck diver goes in solo and buys it when he runs out of gas.

Was that an "agency failing"? No. He apparently ran out of gas, perhaps precipiatated by some equipment problem. He made a number of mistakes before his death. None of the agencies preach that those mistakes are "standard operating procedure."

Yet the DIRites were ALL OVER this, claiming that their system would have "prevented this".

Well, ANY dive system would have prevented this, IF IT WAS FOLLOWED!

That's my complaint with the DIR proponents coming out of the woodwork to scream about these events. By definition an accident means someone screwed up - in some way.

Back
Top Bottom