"Scuba Diving Killing Older Divers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried those meds several gave me severe cramps most others made me sleepy and left me feeling weak. I stopped the meds and stopped going to the doctor. It's all posion, given out by quacks.
I haven't had a colonoscopy, a stress test or any other tests recommend for people my age, and don't intend too either.

It's really sad where the state of western medicine is right now... There is a lot of good to it but it seems everything comes down to a prescription or surgery. A 15 minute visit to the drs and if you don't leave with a prescription what has your dr done? Also seems like it is driven by $$$. I've studied some basics of Chinese medicine and have been blown away by its effectiveness. As always, you need to find a good dr whether western or eastern. Thing I like about Chinese medicine is its simplicity and it gets to the root of the problem (less of the symptoms). After studying and getting a foundation of the energy at work, it seems to all make sense.... and I used to think it was all quackery! The best treatment is using a blend of western and Chinese medicine depending on what is wrong.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 05:49 PM ----------

As Dirty Harry said, "A wise man knows his limitations, Briggs"

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 05:51 PM ----------

Ditto, fdog -Mike

I used to say that life is about choices and we have a right to make our own choices and experience whatever consequences come from them. I used to say that if a doctor told me I couldn't/shouldn't dive I had a right to make an informed choice to dive or not. I used to say nobody has a right to dictate our choices but events have made me rethink these long held beliefs.

It is easy to say I would rather die diving but what about the impact it has on other people? I have come to the point where I now believe our dive buddies and families have a right to play a part in THAT decision.

Back in 1930 my grandfather was told by his doctor that he wouldn't live very long due to a heart condition. He was an active athlete and continued with his sports. By the time he finally died at age 95, he had outlived nine doctors.

I used to say that life is about choices and we have a right to make our own choices and experience whatever consequences come from them. I used to say that if a doctor told me I couldn't/shouldn't dive I had a right to make an informed choice to dive or not. I used to say nobody has a right to dictate our choices but events have made me rethink these long held beliefs.

It is easy to say I would rather die diving but what about the impact it has on other people? I have come to the point where I now believe our dive buddies and families have a right to play a part in THAT decision.

That is your choice and I respect your right to live your life the way you choose.

However, have made different choices and expect the same respect. It's not that I don't understand the argument that is made, I simply come to a different conclusion. I may come to a different conclusion at a later date, as I can, and have, changed my opinion when I conclude it is warranted.

Not directed at bowlofpetunias but when I get started...
[RANT]My problem starts when someone's lifestyle and choices seem so good to them that they have to force their choices on everyone else. Suddenly, everyone that thinks differently is unenlightened or stupid, dependent upon a change of mind. It never occurs to the enlightened that they might be the problem.[\RANT]

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
Oscar Wilde

That is your choice and I respect your right to live your life the way you choose.

However, have made different choices and expect the same respect. It's not that I don't understand the argument that is made, I simply come to a different conclusion. I may come to a different conclusion at a later date, as I can, and have, changed my opinion when I conclude it is warranted.

Not directed at bowlofpetunias but when I get started...
[RANT]My problem starts when someone's lifestyle and choices seem so good to them that they have to force their choices on everyone else. Suddenly, everyone that thinks differently is unenlightened or stupid, dependent upon a change of mind. It never occurs to the enlightened that they might be the problem.[\RANT]

Bob
--------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
Oscar Wilde

Bold added. I absolutely agree with that statement Bob. The times and choices I am referring to are when the choices a person is making have a direct and profound impact on another person's safety and well being. It took a VERY profound event to make me change that long held and lived by and fundamental belief.

Examples:

If I knew I had a medical condition but I made that informed choice to dive anyway any buddy or dive operation I Chose to dive with after that has a right to know and make their choice about diving with/near me. I don't have the right to make a choice without consideration of the impact my death could have on my buddy's safety or emotional state. I don't have the right to make a choice without consideration of the impact my death would have on the staff, safety, emotional state and reputation of the dive operator. They also have a right to be able to make a choice about exposing themselves to those risks.

I don't have the right to tell someone they should/have to quit smoking but I have the right to tell them I don't want them smoking inside my home, car or somewhere that I can not escape the secondary smoke. I was fortunate that I never took up that addiction and my husband doesn't smoke because now react badly to secondhand smoke.

People do have a right to make their own choices good or bad. I now believe there are times and situations where those impacted by those choices do have a right to make their own personal choices too. I never want myself or anybody I care about to have to go through the aftermath of an unnecessary death again.

I recently read a comment in A & I along the line of "a good buddy would put their lives on the line, risk their life to rescue their buddy, an instabuddy would let them die" The reference was to a situation where someone choose to ignore the dive plan and go to an insane depth without appropriate gas/equipment. The buddy finally abandoned the rescue attempt due to depth and lack of air and was fortunate IMHO to survive. IMHO the deceased did not have the right to risk his buddy because he chose to do something crazy. The survivor's family had the right to be included in the choice the survivor made to save himself and go home to them instead of throwing his life away because of someone else's choice. IMHO The survivor is now going through a kind of Hell nobody can really appreciate until they have been there.

No Bob I am not taking your comment personally just clarifying my position. I suspect we really are more in agreement than our initial posts appeared:)

I recently read a comment in A & I along the line of "a good buddy would put their lives on the line, risk their life to rescue their buddy, an instabuddy would let them die"

That's kind of a loaded question, like "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

I'm often an instabuddy. If my buddy gets into a situation where a dramatic rescue is needed, not only has he screwed up badly, but so have I, in not detecting the problem sooner.

Just like The Tango, it takes two, to be buddies.

I'll never have to go to 250' (or wherever) to catch my buddy, because I'm not going to let him blow the dive plan badly enough to get there. If he has a death wish, he can damn well do it when I'm not there.

flots.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2014 at 07:21 PM ----------

It is easy to say I would rather die diving but what about the impact it has on other people?

My father had a heat attack walking to the mailbox and died in a hospital.

My uncle was killed during WW-II.

Neither one was a "good way to die"

Everybody dies from something. It might as well be something enjoyable.

You can always limit your dive buddies by age to reduce the chance of having one croak. I am not so sure you will get a lot of support from dive operators. The older divers with time and money make up a good bit of their income stream.

As an old guy, I resent bowlofpetunias attitude. Wonder if it will change as she ages?

OMG that is too funny! I am 63 and the incident that effected me so much that it changed my mindset to what it is now had nothing to do with age! I am not saying older divers are unsafer! In my experience I would rather have an older and less fit diver than some ultra fit high risk taking youngster who spent last night drinking and thinks the rules don't apply to them because they still think they are bulletproof!

If my buddy died of a previously unknown problem I would just deal with it. There are a lot of younger divers who have medical problems as well! If they die because they knew they had a medical condition, chose to dive anyway that is their right. What I am saying is that they should give me the information so I too can make an informed choice about the dive. If I agreed to dive with them (which could happen).. I took on the "job" with my eyes open. If I didn't think it was worth doing the dive with them I would have had my chance to make my own choice about potentially getting in the middle of the aftermath of an event!

Had a quick look at your profile. I'd be happy to dive with you. In my book age and experience trump youth and enthusiasm. I do wish I could convince my 37 year old son to take up diving:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom