Trip Report Scuba Diving in Roatán, Honduras - July 2019 (4K)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have my prescription in my mask (including the bifocal part), I still have trouble spotting the little things.

You need to slow waaay down and don't forget your magnifying glass. :p

I'm not making fun. I have a magnifying glass.

Seeing is after Spotting, so yes Hoag, I do getcha now.

I signed on for a Naturalist Course many years ago, Patty Grier taught me the specific niche environments, the structures to look hard at- the ones that are home to otherwise invisible creatures.

You never really see or spot the critters...you find them by locating their favorite types of real estate.

When a DM points out a critter, take greater note of the soft or hard coral it’s clinging to. The depth. The other creatures nearby.

Cleaning Stations? If you can show me the Pedersen Cleaning Shrimp, good. How about the Corkscrew Anemone- better. And the two types of symbiotic Crustaceans? Expert! Not man6 experts out there.

I did a week as a speaker at the Roatan Seahorse Festival. All the other presenters went all Doctorate level on the DNA and mating habits of Seahorses. I just spent the week teaching how to find Seahorses (and other stuff).

Go slowly. No even slower. If you aren’t finding stuff, plain and simple, you’re going too fast.

And that glass lensed magnifier.

While I appreciate the advice from @chillyinCanada and @Doc, I tend to travel with a group from what used to be a great LDS in Rome NY. (The group is still great, but I have retired to my hometown in SW Ontario, so Rome NY is not exactly "Local" anymore, but I digress.) Because we are traveling as a group, the "herd mentality" extends somewhat even when we hit the water. If you don't keep up, you will be left behind.

This is mitigated somewhat at Cocoview where you can dive the "front yard" as often as you please so you get to know the area and its residents.

For the most part, my underwater interests tend to follow my above the water interests. If I go on a photo trip to Moab UT for instance, I am fascinated far more by the sweeping vistas than I am by the tiny "shrimp" that come alive in a rain puddle after lying dormant for years.

Thanks very much everyone! I am glad that you enjoyed the video!

Our dive with Chrissie at Dolphin’s Den was one of our most memorable dives ever. We had the place to ourselves so visibility was exceptional and the silversides were out in numbers. She led us on a super slow and relaxed tour with a crazy long bottom time. It was like being in a dream. It was also a milestone for me as I celebrated my 100th dive!

A lot of the macro shots were taken with Rino Jackson of Jackson’s Dive Center. Rino has the best eyes that I have ever seen and he finds stuff that is not even in the books. He is incredibly enthusiastic about macro photography and he is a super cool dude. His shop is in the northern part of West End, just past Sundowners. Highly recommended if you want to see some weird stuff!

I am also getting better a finding the small stuff and am proud to say that I spotted all the cyphomas and tritonias in the video as well as a variety of smaller crustaceans!
FYI, Sad news that Rino passed this week unexpectedly.... Very sad day.....

Oh dear sad news indeed

For those of you who knew Rino, Roatan Marine Park has named a dive site (on the south west side of the island) in his honor. The name is "Rino Phores". You can go to the RMP dive map and find it.

Here is the posting on RMP site.

Rino Jackson, Mr. Magic Eyes, was a child of the sea. First as a boat captain, then as a Divemaster and Instructor, and finally as founder and owner of SCUBA Roatan and Jackson's Dive Center, Rino shared his passion for all things SCUBA with clients and dive professionals alike. His passion for the ocean was contagious. His genuine kindness was infectious. He could be found most afternoons on the porch of his dive shop, talking to the customers, friends, and passersby that were drawn in by his good nature and chuckling laughter. He was an icon of West End. His sudden passing was a shock and his loss is mourned by his family, beloved children, and all who were lucky enough to call him a friend.
To commemorate Rino, the RMP created a dive site in his honor. “Rino Phores” is located just around West Bay point on one of his favorite sand patches. Away from the hustle and bustle of other sites, it is a perfect dive site to nudi hunt. While the mooring line and buoy are already installed, we would like to add a plaque and are looking for donations to assist with the cost. If you’d like to donate to the cost of a plaque, please contact the RMP.
"Rino was a child of the sea. Gone too soon, loved by many, and missed by many” – Liana Jackson

We miss you Mr. Magic Eyes.

Thanks for sharing this, Gary. I had a good chuckle when I saw this on the RMP site. A fitting tribute indeed! Rhino’s sister, Liana, has continued to run Jackson’s Dive Centre with Capt. Alan still running the boat and Rino’s good friend and nudi nut, Tony Brown, leading the dives. With Tony’s enthusiasm and eagle eyes, this is still one of the best dive ops for seeing the small stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom