Trip Report Scuba Diving in Roatán, Honduras - July 2019 (4K)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilOtter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In July 2019, we spent two glorious weeks in Roatán with no kids, diving the South Side with Barefoot Divers, the East End with Dive Pangea and the West End with Jackson's Dive Centre. We logged 15 dives at a variety of sites that included Tortuga, Calvin's Crack, Coco View Wall, Labyrinth, Dolphin's Den, Jumping Jack, Divemaster's Choice and the Barefoot Palapa, among others.

We also enjoyed a dive at our very own site, named D2T after the divers in our family (Doug, Deb and Téa). The site is halfway between Lita's Hole and Shark Bait Shallow at the entrance to the Mahoghany Bay inside channel. All underwater video was shot on a Panasonic DMC-LX100 in an Ikelite housing and all topwater video was shot on a GoPro Hero 7 Black.

Great video! Thank you for sharing, but it confirms my decision not to go back to Roatan. So much of the amazing things on your video are simply too small for my old eyes to see while underwater. I think I will need to stick to places with "big stuff".

Nice video, love watching your videos. I actually saw Chrissie had linked it earlier today and watched there. Dophin's Den looked a lot clearer for you then when I did it. Chrissie and Anthony are great at spotting the macro stuff.

Great Macro! We just returned from an excellent week of diving Roatan.

Thanks very much everyone! I am glad that you enjoyed the video!

Our dive with Chrissie at Dolphin’s Den was one of our most memorable dives ever. We had the place to ourselves so visibility was exceptional and the silversides were out in numbers. She led us on a super slow and relaxed tour with a crazy long bottom time. It was like being in a dream. It was also a milestone for me as I celebrated my 100th dive!

A lot of the macro shots were taken with Rino Jackson of Jackson’s Dive Center. Rino has the best eyes that I have ever seen and he finds stuff that is not even in the books. He is incredibly enthusiastic about macro photography and he is a super cool dude. His shop is in the northern part of West End, just past Sundowners. Highly recommended if you want to see some weird stuff!

I am also getting better a finding the small stuff and am proud to say that I spotted all the cyphomas and tritonias in the video as well as a variety of smaller crustaceans!

Our dive with Chrissie at Dolphin’s Den was one of our most memorable dives ever. We had the place to ourselves so visibility was exceptional and the silversides were out in numbers. She led us on a super slow and relaxed tour with a crazy long bottom time. It was like being in a dream. It was also a milestone for me as I celebrated my 100th dive!

Congrats on 100! When I went with Chrissie it was just me, her and Anthony. There was a lot of wind that week which I think had contributed to the lower viz I got. I got 90 mins bottom time at Dolphins Den and that has been my longest to date. I was bummed because my off brand camera battery ran out just 30 mins into the dive. The sardines were out when I went too, and it looks like some residents of that cavern may be permanent residents. That moray at 3:34 looks like one I shot it in first room on the left. It appears to have the exact same lighting. Did you see the bones in the upper room?

It looks like you dove the Pinnacles? at about 2:10 in the video, that was one of my favorite dives too.

Are you shooting the close stuff with a tripod. If so can you share you setup to get those stable shots?

....are simply too small for my old eyes to see while underwater. I think I will need to stick to places with "big stuff".

I got one of those prescription masks, I can even spot a Troll.

To stay OP, yes, nice video.

Thanks Doc! I also use a prescription mask and it makes all the difference. I only need readers but I went with a full lens to assist in critter spotting and seeing my gauges and camera display. Bifocals and gauge readers didn’t work for me, particularly when trying to get low to shoot macro subjects. I was always craning my neck to try to see through the bottom of my mask.

Scott, the scenes at 2:10 are from Calvin’s Crack - an exceptional dive site that is far less trodden than Mary’s Place. For macro shots, I jury-rigged a quadrapod from some old ball arms that I had lying around. I bolted two 4” arms perpendicular to my camera tray and then clamped on four 8” cylindrical arms with the bottom ball removed. It’s pretty futzy to set up but it works very well once in place.

I got one of those prescription masks, I can even spot a Troll.

To stay OP, yes, nice video.
I do have my prescription in my mask (including the bifocal part), I still have trouble spotting the little things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom