Scuba Diving in Kansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That quarry looks awfully small. I'm not sure if SS rents those suits. I talked with him yesterday...apparently Clinton Lake has a vis of about 6".

We could try Lone Star Lake and see how the visibility is.

We could still try Clinton Lake, I'm guessing it might have 1-2' visibilty in the winter because you won't have all the stuff growing in the water.

what quarries have you seen around that look like good places to dive?

Wilson lake isn't bad in early spring or when the water cools of and kills the alge. Not deep, may 30 feet but it has a training platform at about 20 or 25 feet. Easy entry. I from other schools home town - Manhattan.

I might try Wilson lake, but for right now I'm looking for a dive spot no more then 60min. away from Lawrence.

Boardndave, should we try out Lone Star Lake first before Clintion?
When should we start setting up a date to dive?

7mm should work fine for November. I was reading some post on the board and they said you can stay warmer if you add warm water into your wetsuit before you get into the water because you won't be wasting energy heating up the cold water.

I'm going to find out this weekend if Scuba Shack rents 7mm wetsuits.

I've been pretty busy, but you could always go and scout out the lake if you wanted. If it looks somewhat blue, then vis may be worth it. I'm not really interested in diving Clinton...the lake has an average depth of 6 feet and generally looks awful. I'd rather not silt up my nice gear. You'll want a hood and gloves if we're going in November, too!

What did you find out from Scuba Shack?

I didn't have time to go by Scuba Shack yet, but I should have time to run by on Friday.

This weekend i'm going to try to go by Lone Star Lake and/or Douglas County Lake and see how the vis look.

I just found out that Scuba Shack does rent 7mm wetsuits with hood and gloves. The price is $15 per day.
I'm going to be heading out to Lone Star Lake tomorrow to check the vis.

I went to Lone Star Lake today to check out the visibility, and it looks like it's around 3 feet.

Good news! I sent an email off making sure if we can scuba dive in Lone Star Lake, and this is the reply I got back,

"You are correct—the LSL regulations do not address scuba diving. Under current rules, swimming is only allowed in the designated swimming area (east arm of lake, east of old marina building). So, scuba diving would only be allowed in this area under the rules. If you want to scuba dive in other areas of the lake, special permission is needed. Special permission would likely be granted if we knew your proposed dive site, dive plan and schedule, and you could provide a copy of your C-card."

We need to set up a time soon when to dive so we can get a group out there and have a fun time trying out a new dive site here in Kansas.

Does November 12 work for you guys?

Interesting. 3 feet is pretty damn crappy, but I would definitely go. My guess is that we really don't 'need' permission, since it is a public body of water. There is nothing that says you can't. That being said, you're more than welcome to tell them what basic plans would be.

I can't do the weekend of the 12th...but most other weekends are open. I'm having a tank of mine brought down from MN the weekend of the 12th...just can't go diving that week. I wonder how deep that lake gets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom