Scuba Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monty123

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Monty and new to this board. Im a new diver as well, and will be taking a trip to Costa Rica in the next few weeks. I will be doing my first 4 open water dives there. Just some information Im inquiring about:
Fistly, has anyone done a certifcation for it there, if so, how was you experience?
Did you find it very tiring, and difficult?
Was there any language barriers that created a problem?
Any place you reccomend to complete the open water dives (Coco beach, which I hear is spectalar)

Any other places in Costa Rica, that are a must for diving when going there?

Any help would be great help!!! I'm super excited about this trip and would like to get the most information I can, just for knowledge and comfort(been a while since I have been away)

Any other places in Costa Rica, that are a must for diving when going there?
Cocos Island is one of the top dive destinations in the world, but it is a bit advanced for a brand new diver.

Where would you recommend diving for beginners (perticularly for the 4 open water dives)?

Also, any places you suggest that have a place to sleep along with completing your open water dives (packages prices that combine the two)?

Where would you recommend diving for beginners (perticularly for the 4 open water dives)?

Also, any places you suggest that have a place to sleep along with completing your open water dives (packages prices that combine the two)?

I would not recommend Costa Rica as a dive destination for new ,not yet certified divers..Limited visibility-20' maybe and cold temps 68 degree in April..Cayman or better yet Bonaire would be a much better choice..Stayed at Villas del Sol on Playa Hermose -close to coco beach -and it was ok trip for the jungle tours/white water/etc but would not go there again for diving..

I'll assume you are visiting the Guanacaste area on the Pacific side as it's the most touted.

I give a first rate recommendation to the Ocotal Resort. They are a resort-dive combo and they have training. I'm well past the traing stage so I'll not comment on that but the operation is well run, the boats first rate, the resort people are very friendly (like most all Ticos) and competent. Language is no problem. My two stays have been great. You DO need to get to Catalina Island (a short ride) for the Mantas. Awesome.

It's towards the end of the "green" season at this time of year in Costa Rica. That really means rain but it's not a monsoon. Most afternoons it'll start raining about 1-2PM and be gone by morning. The rain does mean run-off and less vis. Water temps on the Pacific side do run a bit cool but a 3 mil shorty does me fine.

Dive Safe

Pura Vida

I'll be going Nov 21-Dec 2nd, so I hope the weather will be ok (rainy season is just ending).

Stfree, any diving resorts besides the one mentioned in your previous post for beginners. I want it to be a nice, simple experience.
Not anything crazy, like tough currents, limited site.

I know its my first four dives, the main thing for me is to be comfortable in the water and my surroundings.

Let me know

I have always wanted to go to Costa Rica, not only for the diving but for the canopy tours, jungle excursions, rain forest hikes etc.
Ive only heard great things about the country

Its nice that we can dive there too (main reason why were going)

Costa Rica has some great diving. Playas del Coco (Coco Beach) has several dive outfits. I did my very first dives there (discovery) and we had awesome vis, great conditions, etc. I would recommend Rich Coast Diving, they are on SB so you can send a pm for details or just google them and get their website. They can also set you up w/ housing. I would not describe open water dive training as tiring if you are in remotely decent shape. Costa Rica has a very good understanding of the tourism industry and any dive op in the area will have english-speaking DM's and instructors. And there is tons of topside activities in the area. I'd say go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom