Scuba Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I don't know more first hand about the other dive operators but I do agree with Battle2a5s comments . Tourism in Coasta Rica and dive tourism in particular is a very important part of the economy and is treated very seriously. I have heard good things about Rich Coast Diving, so do check them out. The time frame you mentioned should be good. I have not experienced any significant running currents but there is always the back and forth wave surge in a open ocean environment. Your divemaster/instructor will be very familiar with the conditions present in the various locations in the area. There are many protected coves and leeward areas that are quiet water. I'm sure that he/she will choose a location that does not present undue challenges to a new diver. Of course, you should remember that YOU are the client and if ANYONE ever pushes you to do something the makes you really uncomfortable - you have control and can call it off.

Monty,

There are a great many divers out there who had their first diving experiences in Costa Rica. In fact, we've taught several hundred of them in the last two years. It sounds as though you have completed or are in the process of completing your academic and confined water portions of the course. If this is a PADI course you will need a referral from your instructor in order to take the open water dives and complete the course, this you may already know. If this is the case, the "recieving" PADI dive center will arrange to complete the course. It's important to note that you can be credited for any portion of the course you have completed, and the recieving center can work with you from any point in the course. The cost to complete the course is usually negotiated with the recieving dive center based on how much would be required to finish the course.

So much for referral 101. As to your original questions, yes, completing the open water diver course is as trouble free here as anyplace else. Your trip dates are perfect for the beginning of the best diving season, in the central Pacific at least.

Of course, we'd love to be the ones to take you diving, but whomever you decide to go with, Costa Rica would make a great choice for your first open water dives.

Pura Vida

STARTPAGE

I don't know why some of you guys are negative about the diivng here. ok...as previously mentioned viz isn't always carribean but fish life is amazing and if you are completing your open water dives the dive operators certainly won't be taking you to current ripping venues! Good operators include Ocotal and rich coast and playa del coco. Diving safaris in playa hermosa and Oceans unlimited in Manuel Antonio.

I don't know why some of you guys are negative about the diivng here. ok...as previously mentioned viz isn't always carribean but fish life is amazing and if you are completing your open water dives the dive operators certainly won't be taking you to current ripping venues! Good operators include Ocotal and rich coast and playa del coco. Diving safaris in playa hermosa and Oceans unlimited in Manuel Antonio.

just saying that to travel there just to dive is not what alot of people may expect.. We dove with Diving Safari,boats old ready to breakdown, very very slow,same with Rich coast.
Cold limited vis I have here at home and dive in it..On a vacation I would prefer warm and good vis with plenty of phot op's..Been diving since 1968 ,dove many or most of the islands and even worked in St Thomas .CR ok for a trip to dive a little and do the eco tourism thing,but as a location to make 4/5 dives a day no thanks..Coco's island would be different ,not mainland CR.

Monty, Ocotal resort, stayed there 2 years ago during Thanksgiving. We had a villa on the hill with a private pool(small). The dive shop service was top notch. They took care of your equipment completely. You can do a shore dive from the resort. I have nothing but good things to say about Ocotal. Keep in mind the visibility will most likely be limited but the wildlife is great.

just saying that to travel there just to dive is not what alot of people may expect.. We dove with Diving Safari,boats old ready to breakdown, very very slow,same with Rich coast.
Cold limited vis I have here at home and dive in it..On a vacation I would prefer warm and good vis with plenty of phot op's..Been diving since 1968 ,dove many or most of the islands and even worked in St Thomas .CR ok for a trip to dive a little and do the eco tourism thing,but as a location to make 4/5 dives a day no thanks..Coco's island would be different ,not mainland CR.

I can imagine that diving in Westchester is not the pristine Carribean viz of say, Cozumel or Antigua. Your post mentions diving in the Guanacaste area only, it seems as though you may be painting with a broad brush. Costa Rica, like many dive destinations world wide, has a seasonal variation as to when the best viz is, rays, whales, etc. We also have the rainy season to contend with although it really wasn't a deciding factor on the central Pacific coast this year.

The truth is that there are a lot of spectacular dive sites in the country and divers are just now discovering them. There are also divers who want something out of the norm, not the photoshopped same old trotted out by Rodales, Sport Diver and the like. These folks are increasingly bringing family and friends here because they can have it all, diving included.

The OP, if I recall correctly, was asking if Costa Rica was an appropriate place to take and complete his open water certification. He also mentioned wanting to experience some of the adventure activities for which the country is known. He did not ask as an instructor, with 3000+ dives, where the best place was to dive 3-4 times a day. Your post sir, does no good for the OP and no justice to the destination.

I can imagine that diving in Westchester is not the pristine Carribean viz of say, Cozumel or Antigua. Your post mentions diving in the Guanacaste area only, it seems as though you may be painting with a broad brush. Costa Rica, like many dive destinations world wide, has a seasonal variation as to when the best viz is, rays, whales, etc. We also have the rainy season to contend with although it really wasn't a deciding factor on the central Pacific coast this year.

The truth is that there are a lot of spectacular dive sites in the country and divers are just now discovering them. There are also divers who want something out of the norm, not the photoshopped same old trotted out by Rodales, Sport Diver and the like. These folks are increasingly bringing family and friends here because they can have it all, diving included.

The OP, if I recall correctly, was asking if Costa Rica was an appropriate place to take and complete his open water certification. He also mentioned wanting to experience some of the adventure activities for which the country is known. He did not ask as an instructor, with 3000+ dives, where the best place was to dive 3-4 times a day. Your post sir, does no good for the OP and no justice to the destination.

Don't be so offended and defensive..Just calling it as I saw it first hand.For a beginner I would still not recommend CR for a trip he/she would travel to for training..Cold and limited vis..It would be easier and less stressfull for a beginner if they are to travel to be in warm water with some vis for a travel trip ..Yes there are seasonal variables most anywhere.Yes people CAN do ow training in CR and have a good time.Would it be easier and perhaps more enjoyable elsewhere?Yes it could be. I did state the eco tourism activities as a plus.The OP would have to weigh out what is important to him for his vacation experience/dollars.Tell the op the truth on what to expect and let them make their decision.

Costa Rica is fine as a beginner dive destination and as a more advanced destination too. Depending on the time of year viz can vary but in the summer we have up to 70 ft. Again currents and temp depend on time of year. In the Manuel Antonio area we have a variety of sites for beginners and advanced divers, with lots of marine life and plenty of stuff to see. Costa Rica has some incredible diving not just at cocos island which is definately very advanced. Isla del Cano, Manuel Antonio, PLaya del coco, catalina islands and murcielago islands. Plenty to choose from. The country itself has lots to offer with one of the highest biodeversity indices in the world for species. THAT is why people come to costa rica.

Hey!
Playas del Coco is one of the best places for diving in Costa Rica. in Town there are 3 dive schools. I'm Instructor in one of them called Rich Coast Diving. For your 4 dives we would need 2 days with each 2 dives. have you finnished allready all your theory and pool stuff??
if not we need 2 additional days.
best is you go and check out our homepage www.richcoastdiving.com nd there you will find our hotel packages. minimum for a package are 3 nights, 2 days diving, so- perfekt.:crafty:
if you have more questions just write us a e-mail. :wink:
c u soon,
bianca

Back
Top Bottom