Scuba Diver dies near Edmonds Ferry Dock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad to hear.
I quoted the article in case the link goes away
EDMONDS, Wash. —
A 60-year-old Marysville man died while scuba diving near the Edmonds ferry docks Saturday afternoon, fire officials said.
Crews responded after a report of a diver floating in the water near the docks at about 12:15 p.m.
According to fire officials, the man was with a group of divers volunteering their time for a maintenance project at the underwater diver park north of the dock.
"The crew deployed a small rescue boat from the ferry and brought the diver to the beach south of the dock. Firefighters on the beach performed CPR, but were unable to revive the diver," said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
Fellow divers told crews the man was an experienced diver and well-acquainted with the park.
Authorities said they do not know how the diver died.

The identity of the diver has not been released.

I suspect this was a heart attack that just happened at a bad time. The guy was one of the regulars helping Bruce every Saturday. I knew him just well enough to wave and smile when I saw him in the parking lot ... didn't even really know his name. Three of them were working on some project ... I spoke to them briefly just before Cheng and I hit the water. When we came out, they were still down. We packed up and left, and as we were pulling into the parking lot at the dive shop down the street the emergency vehicles went past. They appeared to stop at the ferry terminal, and I figured something had gone on in there. Found out about the fatality later last night.

These guys are all extremely experienced divers. Edmonds is a very shallow dive. Conditions yesterday were damn near perfect ... good vis, small tidal exchanges, and not much current. I can't see this being anything actually diving related. "Rumor" has it he signaled he needed to go in, and the other two guys waved him in and kept working ... pretty much standard protocol for out there. My guess is he probably felt something not right and attempted to take himself out of the water ... and didn't quite make it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I knew him pretty well and was shocked to hear who it was. When I first heard about the incident and the age, I immediately thought of him and another of the long time volunteers. It will be so different not seeing him on Saturday mornings at the shop or the park.

Marysville man who drowned had cardiac arrhythmia - Arlington Times
MARYSVILLE - Ralph L. Sweet III of Marysville was identified May 27 as the 60-year-old man who drowned May 24 at the Edmonds Underwater Park.
The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office reported that the cause of the accidental drowning was related to cardiac arrhythmia.
County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said earlier that Sweet was an experienced diver who was with a few others to do maintenance at the park. The man told his fellow divers about 10 minutes earlier that he was going to shore, she added.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom