Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can subscribe to the thread by going to the tool bar, select thread tools then subscribe to thread.

When I first heard of Quero's death I hoped it wasn't while diving. Alas that is not the case, and it forces me to face the reality of diving. Sometimes in spite of benign conditions, plenty of experience, and a track record of knowledge and good judgement the sea may claim any one of us. The cause may be medical, circumstances beyond our control, or even a momentary lack of judgement or following standard procedures. None of us are immune.

If we get nothing else from Marcia's untimely death except that this too can happen to ANYONE, then she has added one more contribution to her outstanding legacy.

As an informal student of accident prevention/analysis I would like to know the circumstances and causes of the tragedy when they are known. If this should ever happen to me I would want that information provided to the dive community - even if my actions contributed to my demise - to do my little part for saving others.

Well said, sir! :clapping:

An experienced, competent diver dies in few scenarios, IMO:

1 - overwhelmingly complacency - a small matter blows up huge (diver fails MOD on tank)
2 - environment - cave or wreck collapse, or critter (Irukandji ?)
3 - equipment new to them (new drysuit?)
4 - medical

I suspect 2 - 4. Can anyone add to that?

What's really sad, besides the obvious that someone lost their life, is that we seldom ever seem to know what actually caused the mishap. The only person who really knows isn't with us. I thought I read that she was diving with three other people. I wonder how close was her buddy.

What's really sad, besides the obvious that someone lost their life, is that we seldom ever seem to know what actually caused the mishap. The only person who really knows isn't with us. I thought I read that she was diving with three other people. I wonder how close was her buddy.
Australia is better than many about careful examinations and publicizing findings.

Well said, sir! :clapping:

An experienced, competent diver dies in few scenarios, IMO:

1 - overwhelmingly complacency - a small matter blows up huge (diver fails MOD on tank)
2 - environment - cave or wreck collapse, or critter (Irukandji ?)
3 - equipment new to them (new drysuit?)
4 - medical

I suspect 2 - 4. Can anyone add to that?

So sad. I saw that she had posted in one forum a couple days before she died that she was asking about a new wetsuit or Drysuit because she was finding herself getting cold 10 minutes into a dive. Perhaps there was also a medical reason explaining that she was getting that cold so early in a dive? I will wait to hear/read more details before jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

So sad. I saw that she had posted in one forum a couple days before she died that she was asking about a new wetsuit or Drysuit because she was finding herself getting cold 10 minutes into a dive. Perhaps there was also a medical reason explaining that she was getting that cold so early in a dive? I will wait to hear/read more details before jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Highly experienced dive pros often chill easier than many others, but then there's much more variety to that. I used to know a lady who dived a dry suit in Cozumel, in August.

I believe that she was diving a new dry suit, and struggling with controlling her buoyancy.

Around last Fri she mentioned leg pain that she was taking Ibuprofen to try to releave, and she thought the leg pain was associated with her struggling to control her trim in the new dry suit, and in shallow diving conditions.

I have no idea if any of this is remotely involved in what happened, though.

At this point there is no value in speculation. There is an on going investigation that we will have to wait for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quero was built like me, and I get cold diving 80F water in a 7mm wetsuit.

So much could have happened with the drysuit.

An inadvertent breath-holding -- it only takes 4 feet, you know.

An uncontrollable ascent -- too much gas in the feet of the suit -- I hate that.

Of all things, take away: It can happen to any of us, at any time.

Back
Top Bottom