SCUBA dive with goggles instead of mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have myopia and my solution is the disposable contact lenses.

I am not sure how comfortable you are with contact lenses, but for me, I find it more convenient than having a Rx mask because:

1) I won't need to pop my glasses back on once I am back on the diving boat so that I can see.

2) Having a pair of glasses laying around in the diving boat is just an accident waiting to happen - not to mention that broken lenses can cause hazard to ppl walking with bare feet on the boat hence more of a liability.

3) Disposable lenses now are cheap enough that it is not that much of strain on wallet to go with this option.

And as for goggle vs. mask debate, mask is the proper way to go.

Last edited:
I'm almost as blind as you, but I will echo others and highly recommend contact lenses, as they are very liberating. I have had no problem with them in the water, either swimming or diving including doing no-mask swims with my eyes part way open.

If contacts are out of the question and you're on a budget, you can see if any old pairs of glasses you have will fit in your mask with the arms removed. I know someone who dives like that. It will make mask removal and replace drills more difficult, but will give you a chance to try diving before shelling out the money on a proper prescription mask.

Sent from my Zeagle N2ition

Yes, I know that I can have a mask made according to my prescription. But the price I have been quoted is around 700-800 USD, not the kind of money I'm willing to spend when I don't know yet if this is for me.

I have been out of the loop for a few months, but here is what I know. I had my distance prescription put into a mask (mask $60.00-ish) for about $250.00 USD. I used a company called Prescription Dive Masks, and they were very easy to work with. They can also do extremely strong prescriptions or bi- and tri-focals. I think their website is http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com. They are located in San Diego, California. You may want to give them a try.

Best of luck to you. I was working on my OW cert when the $$ dried up. I'll get back in one day, though, I'm hooked!

LSF
:coffee:

Just wear your contact lenses with your mask. That's what I do.

This really only works if you are able to wear contact lenses. I am so thankful I have mine back- but I went with a 6 year period where I had a condition that didn't allow me to wear them.

For those who wear contacts: I highly recommend dailies for swimming/diving. If one falls out, it doesn't matter at all- you get a new pair everyday anyway. I buy a box for each eye at the beginning of the year and just wear them when I need them. But I've been able to swim underwater with my eyes open (no goggles/mask) and not lose them.

You can go to any major sports store, or even check online...and get a mask that is CLOSE to your prescription. My wife is blind as a bat, and we only paid $40-60? for an off-the-shelf mask that was close-enough to her prescription. She sees perfectly fine with it.

Many companies sell them for $100-200 in store and online...buy a frame and just get their pre-made lenses. you can get the one that most closely matches your prescription for each eye too.

Remember too that everything is magnified under water, so that will add to better sight as well. I don't see that well, and can't see distance without my glasses, yet underwater with my regular mask, I can see just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom