Scuba Dive - Sick After Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abe1

New
Reaction score
I recently went diving in Cozumel, Mexico. This was a two-tank dive trip. The first dive max depth was 95 feet with a bottom time of approximately 3 minutes, remainder of dive was at 40 feet. The second dive max depth was 45 feet for approximately 45 minutes. After completing this dive, I experienced dizziness and felt as if my feet were very light. I did take safety stops on both dives. The dizziness lasted for approximately 1 week. It should be noted, however, that I was on a cruise ship prior to and after the dive. Also, it should be noted that I drank multiple margarita's while in Mexico. My question is, did I experience some sort of nitrogen narcosis, motion sickness related to the cruise ship, or did the alcohol so soon after a dive cause the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Well, depending on how much time you spent at 40 feet, and the exact meaning of 'multiple', I'd say the lightheadedness wasn't related to diving, offhand. <g>

I was light head before the margarita's I was at 40 feet for about 35 minuteson the first dive. I have made over 100 dive in freash water and never had this come up before.

IMO you could have been living a little too close to the edge but it's all speculation at this point without a complete history. Next time take care of yourself, have your DAN membership in hand and get real time advice.

pete

I was sick before I drink anything. My time at 40 feet on the first dive was about 30 min

I would say at the very least you probably were experiencing the motion of the boat for nearly a week after. So, you may think your dizzy because walking seems ackward. I know I did after a cruise. Those ships are big and you sometimes don't realise(spl?) the motion, but, it is there.

As long as the non Md's are speculating, I'm betting on an inner ear problem. Vertigo, in other words. It could be due to an allergic reaction to almost anything including food, drink, and environmental sources like dust and pollen.

The best advice is if it happens again, call DAN and get some 'real' medical advice. By the way, my bill is in the mail, the advice is worthless, but the charge is cheap.

Stan

Dehydration.
It's a real risk when you visit the tropics. Booze will dehydrate you.
That's the main reason I don't drink while the sun is up when I visit the tropics.

Remind yourself of the increased risk of DCS when dehydrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom