Scuba death results in a lawsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a link to a site that Michigan DEQ relies very heavily as far as what would be considered acceptable:
http://www.glfc.org/pubs/SpecialPubs/Sp90_2.pdf

The "Position Statement" on Page 1 says it all is is always referenced in denial letters. "Deleterious" is the nail in the coffin.

It dates back to the mid 80's with a final edit done in 1990. Very outdated and no updates have been done since then.

Now on to Law: What they consider in the permit application process to sink a vessel.

ADMINISTRATIVE RULE 15

In reviewing an application for permit the Department must consider Rule 15. 1982 AACS, R 322.1015. It states:
In each application for a permit, lease, deed, or agreement for bottomland, existing and potential adverse environmental effects shall be determined. Approval shall not be granted unless the department has determined both of the following:

a) That the adverse effects to the environment, public trust, and riparian interests of adjacent owners are minimal and will be mitigated to the extent possible.
b) That there is no feasible and prudent alternative to the applicant's proposed activity which is consistent with the reasonable requirements of the public health, safety, and welfare.

Riparian owners possess, among other things, a proprietary interest in the uninterrupted flow of sand carried to their land by littoral current in its natural state. Peterman v Dep't of Natural Resources, 446 Mich 177, 196; 521 NW2d 499 (1994). Conversely, the Petitioner, as a riparian has, among other things, the right to wharfage to navigable water. Hilt v. Weber, 252 Mich 198; 233 NW 159 (1930).

Environmental Effects

The only environmental effect under the two proposals being considered is the impact on the along shore current or littoral drift. The impact could have been potentially significant in that if a solid structure, as originally applied for, was constructed sand flow would be disrupted, resulting in the potential of build up on one side and depletion on the other.

Feasible and Prudent Alternatives

The Department's proposal, for the above reasons, constitutes a feasible and prudent alternative within the reasonable requirements of the public health, safety, and welfare.

This states makes it virtually impossible to even attempt to sink a vessel.
By teh way, our state is rankjed 50th in tourism. Wonder why? :shakehead:

I'll bet no one ever considered the financial impact this book would have on underwater tourism now.

Greg, This was a state of texas bill that pertains to permits belonging to the state.It seems like you have two separate issues. One if the state owns the permit and one if an individual group owns the permit.

Hi Chairman,

Yes, two issues. We're trying to get the state to understand (that artificial reefing makes good economic sense) the benefit if the permit belongs to the state. How can you get a state to recognize the benefits and take on this added responsibility? (Liability, permitting and sinking of vessels) as opposed to private organizations?

As a private organization, we could go this route pretty easily -but too many want to see sinkings and it would take 100 times longer without state backing.

Well we can all agree that we are in a litigeuos society -but I'm still looking for some numbers for comparison. We haev snowmobile trails and there are 30+ deaths every winter. Do they sue because of a tree they ran into? I think Snakeriver Pirate has it right.. The judges can dictate the outcome.

So, I'm guessing no one here (as of yet) knows where I can get the amount of lawsuits filed, settlement out of court and so on? We do have this law that is "governmental immunity"... But they still want to cover their tracks, so to speak...
Rather than ask a random sample of people (scubaboard). You should contact the AG in a state that has an artificial reef program (Florida). And, ask them for their stats.

Good idea - but the reponse will take 4-6 months. I suppose I could wait but I'm finding that all deaths were from different reasons and not just becuase they dove a wreck. Diving a wreck, in itself, isn't going to kill you... it's your actions that will. As someone told me, it's not the gun that kills, it's the person that uses it.

Well we can all agree that we are in a litigeuos society -but I'm still looking for some numbers for comparison. We haev snowmobile trails and there are 30+ deaths every winter. Do they sue because of a tree they ran into? I think Snakeriver Pirate has it right.. The judges can dictate the outcome.

So, I'm guessing no one here (as of yet) knows where I can get the amount of lawsuits filed, settlement out of court and so on? We do have this law that is "governmental immunity"... But they still want to cover their tracks, so to speak...

talk to a good snake I mean lawyer, bet he/she will know.......

Hi Diver 85... Well, there are quite a few law students who are checking it out and even a few lawyers have chimed in too. Any judges want to give their take? (no legal advice... just thoughts from their own mind).

Ok, I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'll chime in with my two cents. I know that most cases get settled, so if you are looking for something like the raw number of diving related lawsuits, checking public records may not get you close to the real number. The groups that know how many lawsuits there have been, and what it has cost, are the training agencies and their insurance companies. Unfortunately, getting the numbers from either group may be close to impossible. However, the major organizations do lobby at a certain level, and support efforts to increase diving, so it may make sense to contact PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc., and see if they have information that will help.

Thanks Sharkbait!
Different angle may bring in something. We'll see.

DBailey,

Makes sense to me - but when has a court of law made sense on some cases? We're probably going to have to write a memorandum of law for the city and county and recommend this to the State Atty general's office of future projects similiar to this one. This pilot project is a "fact finding mission" and will serve as a template for future sinkings in the Great Lakes if successful.
Sorry to join this so late, but I read the thread and it seems to shift around on topics.

Greg - what government agency is doing this "pilot" project? If they are doing the project as a "pilot", why is this an issue? It would seem like they would make the call on what risk they want to take.

Are you trying to find out about just deaths or injuries too? If either, how connected to diving do they have to be? Does it include natural causes or just diving injuries or what if a mix of the 2? How about injuries walking down the dock to the boat? It just seems like you need to better think out the question before seeking answers. I know I am confused.

Have you heard from the Record-Eagle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom