Scuba Death Leads to Lawsuit Settlement Against American Medical Response

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading this im extremely glad the ambulance service here is (i) all paramedic and (ii) not a private company.

Its costly but at least it has service standards.

Brian,
I am sorry to hear that as a result of you standing up for what was right, you had to resign. You don't need me to tell you that you did the right thing. I wish the outcome was different. A number of my friends work/volunteer as firefighters and/or paramedics. You guys don't get enough credit in my book.

Scuba Brian:
Having been a volunteer Paramedic(recently resigned), the policy is still continue to revive until a doctor takes over. They are the only ones that can make the call. Many rural fire and rescue dept.'s only have EMT-Basic runing their ambulances, many times the co-rider is only a first responder. I own a bar/restaurant, i have seen on many occasions in the past some of the fire and rescue members, after drinking head out on a call. This is a volunteer department from which i had been a member. I, after a call to the state was able to end this type of behavior. This letter posted by Thallassamania is just a representation of when this type of behavior finally catches up to the irresponsible.

Edit: My resignation came because of the tension caused by my phone call, guess it wasn't a anonymous call after all.

All I can say is this.

There is a huge difference between paramedics and EMT's.

I was Nursing Director for one of the big ambulance companies in Southern California (Doctor's Ambulance, they did the EFR videos)) and I did not realize that 911 was being farmed out to private companies in Cali. Is this in SF too? We did mostly hospital Critical care ER to ER.
I have done both.

An EMT is about 18 or 19 years old, not college educated and very little experience quite often. I think they go to school for 6 weeks or something. I did not like them even driving me around running hot, much less making big decisions.

I don't think somebody with this level of training should be making the call about ceasing CPR. I was just curious because of the heroin connection. I have know a lot of paramedics and for the most part, they are pretty straight arrows. The surprising thing is that they stopped doing rescusitation. I have never even heard of that happening unless someone is almost decapitated and it's a very long transport.--and the decision is made by the ER doc in radio contact based on the facts.

Actually:

-I'm not sure why this thread was started either. It just point out that every profession has its' miscreants. They need to be dealt with and it appears that these were.

-Several governmental agencies contract out their EMS service in the same way that it is common for a hospital to contract out ER service. The performance and licensing standards are the same.

-Who can provide ALS and who can make what decision and when varies from State to State. Decision criteria are spelled out in State Law and the applicable Standing Orders. So, in a forum such as this very few universally applicable statements can be made.

-Training and Licensing varies from State to State. Certainly there is a core of commonality. But that is all it is, a core. So, one has to be familiar with the rules in a particular State before one can comment on the selection, training and performance standards there.

I could not disagree with you more.

An informed public drives a lot of EMS policy and funding.

These discussions are very informative. For example--

I think this case should bring good discussion about when to stop CPR.

If hypothermia is suspected, CPR should be continued until the core body temperature is brought up to normal... then you can stop CPR.

These systems belong to the people, I say let the light shine in.

The regulations vary from state to state and that's the point...discussions allow outcomes to be compared. Regulations are changing all the time.

Back in San Diego, our big hot issue at the time was pediatric intubations in flight and who could do them and who could not. Children drowning in pools was a huge community issue. The outcomes were much better in states where the Paramedics and RNs were trained and allowed to intubate, if I recall correctly.

I was hoping some Emergency people would discuss their protocols for dc'ing CPR so that I could get an idea of if this is being done autonomously without MD radio contact, in some places, or not.

Cathrine, you're right.

I am an EMT, I worked for a private company, and I have no business determining when to stop CPR.

In defense of private companies, there are some excellent paramedics and EMTs out there, but there are also some that aren't worth anything. This holds true for country and city EMS, as well.

From the article, there appears to be "medic" error, possibly caused by drug use. I think that we are all in agreement that CPR shouldn't stop (unless ordered by a physician).

This incindent does not reflect the state of private ambulance companies.

I included all the data so that it wouldn't come back later that it wasn't really diving ... it was this or that. I did not intend to do anything more than get the diving part of the incident on the SB record ... I should know better, this is the ScubaBoard ... duh!

troublemaker.

I never said private ambulance companies are bad.

I am just surprised that Monterey subs this out. Usually municipalities like the control they retain with EMS/FIRE 911 system.

There are certain advantages to ...consistency. Think DIR ER protocols. . That way, counties and municiplities that butt up against each other have some consistency. Rural areas aren't affected as much. (like Alaska) But think about SoCal and the number of different cities there are in LA county alone. It can get very complicated.

Thalassamania:
I included all the data so that it wouldn't come back later that it wasn't really diving ... it was this or that. I did not intend to do anything more than get the diving part of the incident on the SB record ... I should know better, this is the ScubaBoard ... duh!

Thanks for clarifying your motive.

But I'm still confused as to why the ScubaBoard Record is so important that something needs to be dredged up to be included in it. As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, I didn't realize there was a ScubaBoard Record in a research and analysis sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom