SCUBA Club Meeting - Huntsville, AL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLuke

Reaction score
For those of you in the Huntsville, Alabama area the SEAS club will meet this Thursday at Green Hills Grill on the corner of University and Wynn Drive. Dinner is at 6:30 PM and the program starts at 7:00. Visitors are always welcome.

From the newsletter:
Our guest speaker for May will be Steve Chapman. He will be giving a talk on the extraordinary sport of caving/spelunking. Steve lives here locally, works at NASA and is also a SCUBA Divemaster. This should be a real treat for those adventure seekers in the group, so

come on out and let Steve open up your horizons a bit!

The club newsletter is at:
http://seasscuba.org/web/

Luke

I can't make it this month, or next month, but July is looking good so far. I'm in the Army and I'll be back at Redstone in mid June.

Firebrand:
I can't make it this month, or next month, but July is looking good so far. I'm in the Army and I'll be back at Redstone in mid June.
If you get back in time - June 18th is Diver Saftey Day out at Rock Divers. SEAS is planning on having a booth set up and a raffle for a free membership and if you join at the quarry June 18, your name will be entered to win a gift certificate to the dive shop of your choice. Membership will also be half price at this event.

Luke

Hey, do you guys ever do any diving in Guntersville Lake???

The Kraken:
Hey, do you guys ever do any diving in Guntersville Lake???

I've never actually scuba dove in Guntersville lake, but I've had to put a mask on and snorkle down to work on a boat dock underwater. The vis is pretty much 2 feet or less. usually less.

Guntersville lake is basically the dammed up portion of the Tennessee River. It just doesn't flow that clear. Some people do dive the 'River', but they are very few and far between.

One of the LDS's does a 'night dive' on the river in the summer time on Tuesday nights near Florence AL. I think the water there is a little clearer due to more rock bottom instead of silt/sand/mud bottom of the river. I've been told by some people on it that the vis "isn't that bad", but I don't see how. BTW... they do this on the same river, but officially it's Pickwick Lake they dive in. check out http://www.sdiscuba.com/tue_night_dives.htm

There is also a group of divers that like to go out and dive under the highway bridges and do search/recovery patterns. They like to see what they can find from people who throw stuff out of passing cars off the bridge. I think that they find several guns this way, which I think they get to keep after they release them or the gun info(make, serial number, etc) to the police, as long as it doesn't match a stolen or crime gun.

You used to see commercial mussel diver boats all the time, but I hardly see those any more. I don't know who'd eat a mussel out of the river anyway. heh.

Other than that, most local diving is done at one of the local rock quarries.

-mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom