Scuba club in a public school

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucas Foley

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi my name is Luke. I live in northeast mississippi and i would like to maybe start a dive club in my school. I just dont know how i should go about doing this and if anyone has any ideas about what i should do that would be great. Thanks a lot
Luke

I teach at an international school in Thailand and started a club at my school. Are you a student or teacher currently? When the club started I was a DM and coordinated all activities but worked with another teacher who happened to be an instructor. Once becoming an instructor it was easy to take on all aspect as my partner and crime left. For starters, is there a teacher on staff you can buddy up with that is a DM or instructor? A parent that has DM or higher rating might also be good to team up with.

I had to write a formal proposal and pitch it to our equivalent to a superintendent in public schools in the US. There should be a process on how to add extra curricula activities at your school already. Someone in the PE dept. should be able to get you in the right direction. Additionally I suggest scheduling time with your principal to get ball rolling. PM, although in a different situation I would be happy to help and hopefully hear of your good success.

From your profile I see you're not a teacher, but a student. No worries, but that adds a layer of complication to things. It should still be doable. If I were you I'd first find somewhere to dive that is easily reached after school and some means of getting everyone there. Do you already have somewhere in mind? I'd do this even before I gauged the interest of my fellow divers. Also, are you trying to get already certified local kids together to dive or to manufacture future buddies?

Your profile again mentions Mexico, Florida etc, but not Mississippi. I don't know if the river is suitable for drift dives there but I would hazard a guess not, so it's down to lakes, quarries or organizing maybe one or two trips a year to somewhere “exotic”. Is that what you had in mind?

Logistically: Does your school have a pool to practice skills in? Is there somewhere nearby to get air fills, gear rented, etc? (Something always breaks) Is there somewhere secure to put gear during school?

(Arizona, I suspect it’s a lot easier to start a club in Thailand, where you can pretty much throw a brick and hit a fabulous dive site, than in a central US public school.)

I think it’s a cool idea, but there are a lot of questions to get answered to ascertain its feasibility.

Everything is relative. Pattaya diving is not the holiday diving most know and associate Thailand with such as Phuket, Koh Tao or the Similans, but warm ocean diving within a 2-3 hour drive does help. No complaints.

You make some excellent points OC. I still think the principal would be a great place to start. Having a dive shop nearby for logistics will also be important. Trying to get an ally in PE or another teacher qualified or willing to go the extra step is also very important. My teaching started in the US so I have an appreciation of the steps this will entail. Student generated is indeed a good thing. Hopefully support will be gained by your principal.

Back
Top Bottom