Scuba Booking and Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just returned from a cruise and dove at Cozumel. The ship time of arrival was on eastern time and Cozumel was on central time, so we arrived 8am EDT and 7am CDT. We were off the ship very quickly since there is a dock. We made an 8:15 at the Caletta Marina with no problem. So, I would book your own in Cozumel. Same for Grand Cayman, book your own. Just be sure to keep your watch on ship's time.

Last edited:
I worked on cruise ships for years. On the big ships that don't have their own dive operations, DO NOT book with the cruise ships. Local operators know that the ship pax are there for one day and don't usually take the time to take you to the best, just the closest. AND they cattle boat it when possible.

DEFINITELY email and book ahead of time, leaving yourself plenty of time to get off the ship (no cruise ship I know will let the operator bring their boat to the ship, you will have to go ashore).

I'd also go with Blue Angel, Bill La Rosa, the owner is a good friend of mine and a heck of a great guy!

Do give a report when you get back!

In the future, think about booking a cruise ship with it's own dive operation. Some of them do get to great dive spots like the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti.

I dove with AKR through a cruise ship last week and what the posters said above is true. There was zero worry about timing, but then again, the dive was all about efficiency. AKR is very professional and everything ran smoothly, but the dives were 40 and 45 minutes and I finished both dives with 1200 PSI in the tank and was back at the ship with 2.5 hours to spare -- not quite enough to go to a West End beach, but just enough to wish some of that extra time had been spent under water diving. The dives themselves were pleasurable and even though there were 15 other divers on my boat, everything went so smoothly you could hardly tell. people got in and out of gear and in and out of the water pretty efficiently. Good briefing and good leadership from the DM's. The only downside was limited (in my opinion) bottom time. In Cozumel on the same cruise I booked separately with Aldora and got 60 and 73 minute drift dives with just 5 divers on the boat.

If you want personalized attention or longer bottom times, go separately. But if you're flexible and don't want to think about it, go with the cruise ship's excursion, at least in a place like Roatan where they contract with a good dive op.

THe upside of the ship's operator, not mentioned above, is the social angle. You get to meet more of your fellow cruise passengers, which can be a plus. My wife doesn't dive so I didn't bring my own buddy and met folks on the way there. I met people on my non-cruise-arranged dive too, but I knew I wouldn't be seeing them again.

when you book with the cruise ship they will take apx 50% of the fee, the shop gets the short end so they will probably shorten your end of the service provided,
your better off to book seperately ,
a shop that you pay directly will give you better service, both in bottom time & the personal touch
research before you board the ship,
many shops will have other inquiries & other divers to buddy you with so there is no concern over buddies., there is always a DM/ guide if you are the only solo

Back
Top Bottom