Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
We plan on posting a public statement on the total amount that was collected, and all bills that were paid out to date, tomorrow.
Of course, we will NOT be listing contributors names and emails, as that information should and will remain private. I apologize for not posting with an update earlier, but I also spent a little time in the hospital, as Gabi's neighbor with infectious gastritis, most likely left over from my travels in Chiapas a couple of weeks ago.

We were absolutely overwhelmed with all the support and thrilled that we could make a significant difference in getting some of the major bills here in Cozumel down to a more manageable amount for the family. (I believe that number is around $8000 now.)

I will post the numbers tomorrow, as well as who received the funds on this page as well as on a separate post.
THANK YOU ALL for stepping up to help. This is a wonderful diving community and I feel so blessed to have such great diving friends.
What a wonderful supportive community!!

Jen
Thank you so much for your hard work here. You have certainly worked hard and deserve to be appreciated. Keep your head up.

I was at Jens' place last night along with several witnesses and the team from Scuba Mau and joseph and Tina. Jen's partner in this endeavor Denise was present too. Jen put the whole program on the TV screen for all to see. She went over every detail. From what I understand she had told people the exact details prior. Every detail was in order. What amazes me is the dedication it took to stay at this tremendous work load while maintaining a couple busy lives. HOURS AND HOURS. If it where not for these girls I truly believe there would be a mountain of financial issues for a couple families. Jennifers' and Denises' integrity and honesty coupled with patience has proven them worthy of being called Guardians. They made sure everything was proper. Made decisions with the Scuba Mau boys in which this whole task was put together for and by the way they asked the girls to do this. They (all parties) had no idea how to set this up. Starting a project like this is not just pushing a couple keys on the board and saying presto.
For me I wish there was a way to return their value as a team dedicated to Opal and Gabi. But they are already rewarded knowing what they did. That is the heart of true LOVE. I am proud of them. I am so grateful to have friends like that in my life.
Denise, Jennifer way to go grrrls, YOUR ROCK!!! And to all that participated in the benefit your rock too!
May your hearts be bathed in the light of our love for your efforts forever. your friend kev

There are several other people that visit Gabi regularly to see to his needs as they are ongoing and many. My hat is off to you too. THANKS. His battle to walk is in the balance right now, he needs on going financial support from those that can. He is going to be taking continuous chamber rides. These treatments have been given a slim hope by the doctors. But obviously cash speaks only to this.
Please maintain this support if you can. It is a mountain to be moved by a short tough Mayan, it can only be done with the love and generosity of us. Again thank you all for this help. kev.

I would like to let you know, when Opal had her accident, it was your postings I kept up with prior to getting to the island. I had to take emergency leave from my job and I gave your thread to my bosses so they would know what was going on. After I arrived on the island there was a lot to deal with in a short amount of time. The break came when we went to San Miguel Clinic and was told Opal had an injury to the C2 area. At that time no one could predict the long term outcome. However, when we walked out of that clinic and we were standing on the sidewalk trying to assimilate the information, we were bombarded with phone calls because people had seen where Opal had sustained an injury to the C2 area of her vertebra. We were just coming to grips with that news and it was just too much. That was when we enforced a total shutdown on any information. It wasn't you were speculating too much, it wasn't you weren't factual it was the family couldn't handle the instant pressure in a bad situation.

So, thank-you for your early service and I can only hope you can understand where the family was coming from.

April

Even if Kevin's original post may have contained some errors, it was that post that alerted so many friends of ScubaMau, Opal, and Gabi, and led to the quick push to raise funds to assist. So soon after any accident all the facts are never really known, and it is easy to pass on inaccurate info, but getting folks aware of the accident quickly, and spreading the call for help was a major service. IMO

Right or not, Kevin's heart was in the right place, that's what really matters, and what a true friend does.
Thanks Bro ....

I want to say thanks also to Kevin. The info you provided was some of the most timely and accurate that gets posted when there's a dive incident. And the early posting gave momentum to the support that is in place today.

Thank you Kevin for the information that you posted. It must have been very hard on you given your close relationship with Opal and Gabi. We all know that your heart was in right place.
I am so sorry for your loss April. I had never met Opal but from all the posts, she had many close friends and loyal customers that were great fans! She will be missed.

Hi Joseph

It's Kathy using my sister's computer - Too much security on my work laptop. Big red stop sign for face book, U
tube and all other fun or social sites. We spoke almost 2 weeks ago. Colleen and I are coming in December. So glad you are keeping Opal's dream alive.

She is free now; free in a way she could not have been had she stayed with us. We will all miss her so much. It is an incredible thing for you to honor Opal's memory this way by keeping the shop open. Like your sister, you will make ripples in the big pond and have a very positive effect on the folks who rely on the shop for their living. Not to mention the many divers who want to see the Scuba Mau dream continue. All our best to you, April, Bubba, Heath, Gabi, his family and the Boyz at the shop. Also many thanks to Jen and all the people keeping the fundraising going. April's address worked best for me, for Opal's fund. We are keeping an eye on the facebook page and will get some money to Gabi as soon as we find an efficient way to make sure all the dollars go to Gabi, not bank fees. International is a bit more challenging, but Colleen is checking out some options.

It's my first time posting on Scuba board, so sorry to whoever may be concerned if I broke any rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom