Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the best thing that could come out of this is if divers realize that just because your dive guide is willing to go somewhere doesn't mean you should follow.

I certainly hope everybody comes out of this OK, but I also have to say that I can't conceive of how four people could "accidentlaly" do a 300' dive.

flots.

According to Kevin's posts, this wasn't a guided dive. There were three (not four) people involved, two of them (Opal and Gabi Loco) who work at the dive shop and the third diver who was not a customer (Kevin specified this in a post that has been removed since).

It seems to me this was a dive among friends. I don't have much experience in the sport, but I've found that most dive professionals I've talked to also do fun dives once in a while during their time off, usually stuff they can't do with their customers : hunting, deep dives, technical dives, sunrise dives, exploration to find new sites…

Whether these guys planned a 300' dive or were caught in a downcurrent or whatever, the important thing right now is their recovery. Then we can all grab a snorkel and beat them with it for doing something stupid IF it turns out that it's what happened.
Only talked briefly with Opal once last year, she had the most contagious smile and she came across as a person who loves life, I really hope she makes it OK.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts have been removed. Please keep this discussion focused on the accident.

Eventually this thread may be moved to the A&I forum.

Thank you

Steve-o,

Lets focus this thread on the good people of Scubamau, word on their progress and recovery, and our best wishes and prayers. Let someone else start the why and what in your AandI board, not here.

Agreed. The thread was started here because it is relevant to the interests of Cozumel. With all due respect, if the poster of the thread intended it to be located elsewhere, then they would have posted it there.

Edit: My thoughts are with the folks from ScubaMau and the other diver. I met Gabi briefly once when I returned a mask that ScubaMau let a divermaster borrow for me (mine had issues just before the dive I was about to do across the street). They seem like a great bunch of folks, and the outpouring of support in this thread shows that they've touched many through their kindness and positivity. Best wishes for speedy recoveries to all.

Last edited:
Opal is a wonderful person and a true friend. Please pray for her, that she will somehow survive this. Whatever the circumstances of the dive (and these we may never know), she is in a place we all dread being and needs our support as does the entire shop. Opal, Mau and all the people at Scuba Mau, I am praying for Opal and my thoughts are with you all. Stay together and strong. She expects that of all of you.:depressed:

Our prayers, healing energies, and good wishes are with the injured, their families and friends.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Opal and all of the good people at ScubaMau. We've dived with them twice and still remember how happy and full of life Opal and her crew are. We'll be keeping positive thoughts and saying an abundance of prayers for all. An accident like this is felt by the entire diving "family" who love the sport and respect the people who have touched their lives in the past.

God bless!

islanddream

We here at home are praying for the gang at the shop.I just left the shop yesterday morning and stopped at the shop to see Gabi and give Opal a hug goodby.I hope all goes well as these are some of the finest people I have ever dove with.Please don't speculate on what happened let's hope and pray that everything goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom