Scratched dome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaJeff

Reaction score
Hey there

I'm new to diving and underwater videography and I've learned a great deal from the posts here, but I have a question I haven't been able to find a thread for.

I have an Ikelite housing for a vx2100 and its great, but on my first time out (snorkeling) I scratched the dome.

It isn't a problem underwater, but is clearly visible when shooting above water
(like swimming and shooting up at a boat)

has anyone tried novus polish?
will this fog my lens?

FloridaJeff:
Hey there

I'm new to diving and underwater videography and I've learned a great deal from the posts here, but I have a question I haven't been able to find a thread for.

I have an Ikelite housing for a vx2100 and its great, but on my first time out (snorkeling) I scratched the dome.

It isn't a problem underwater, but is clearly visible when shooting above water
(like swimming and shooting up at a boat)

has anyone tried novus polish?
will this fog my lens?

I had an older Ikelite housing with a large dome port and used Novus 1, 2 and 3 on it. It didn't fog it up and removed smaller scratches, but it also will not take out a deep scratch, I had a gouge in the middle of the port from a rock (oops). Along with some small scratches. The small scratches went away after polishing, but the deeper gouge actually got worse since the polishing somewhat enlarged the damaged area since it rounded the edges. This caused a small distortion in my videos.

It sounds like your scratch isn't that deep so it may work for you fine. My scratch (gouge) was deep and could be seen in underwater shots.

Test using the polish on a spare arcylic peice (you can buy Lexan scraps at hardware stores sometimes). Do not use a power drill or buffing wheel, you will damage your lens, do it all by hand.

- MikeT
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom