Scout vs. Rat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As mentioned earlier, the Rat, Scout and Photon Torpedo all have a similar pedigree, and it's hard to lose with any of them--they're all great, simple backups.

A couple of the advantages of the Rat/PT is that they are dual o-ring sealed, and some say the twist-on threshold is a bit less vulnerable to accidental depth-activation than the Scout.

Just in terms of price and availability, I'd try to find a used Photon Torpedo, else the $50 old style Scout.

For maximum value for the money I'd take a look at the old body style scout light at Extreme Exposure. Exact same as the current Scout's except for the styling of the delrin canister and you can upgrade to LED w/ a UK SL4 module later on if you want.
Old-Style Scout Backup Lights | Extreme Exposure

Hi there -

I have the exact question as the OP. Thanks to the OP for asking the question & to all of you for the useful information!

Wondering if anyone has a pic of the old style scout? Is the length/weight similar to the current model?

Also wondering if one is brighter for a primary tropical water light?

Photon Torpedo LED
Scout (cost of the upgrade?)
Salvo Rat LED?

Thanks!

I also found the OMS to be a nice light but the size was just to small. The Scout is what I ended up with and I'm very happy. Now I just have to clone it! :shocked2:

There are two older scouts. The smooth-bore one, and the one with the "pineapple" grip. I have one of each. They are nothing special. The size is nearly exactly the same as the current lights.

These lights are designed to get cave divers home when the crap hits the fan. They are not primaries and will be quite poor in that function.

-P

Wondering if anyone has a pic of the old style scout? Is the length/weight similar to the current model?

Also wondering if one is brighter for a primary tropical water light?

Photon Torpedo LED
Scout (cost of the upgrade?)
Salvo Rat LED?

Thanks!

I've been using a Packhorse-modified IST: it blows all other backups that I've used away. Narrow beam and bright enough to signal during daytime....

Im not sure the modified IST would be the best choice as a cave divers back up since it uses rechargeable Li Ion cells.

If that does not phase you I would suggest reducing the output of the light by 33% to 700ma (180lumen+-) and using non protected cells and treat them as disposables if you discharge them too much.
This will increase the burn time quite a bit. 3 hours at near full power and a few more at reduced output.
You could also run it at 350ma (100lumen+-) for 6+ hours at full output

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom