Scout vs. Rat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm slowly picking up pieces of gear here and there to advance through my training farther down the lines to ease the blow to my bank accounts when I decide I'm ready to jump into technical training. One thing I'm kind of hung up on is lights. I don't have money for, or a need for a can light as of now - so I'm looking to buy a "backup" that I can use as a primary for shallow night shore dives until I decide to upgrade or build my own can light.

I'm hung up between, but not completely set on either the Salvo Rat or the Halcyon Scout...What advantages and disadvantages do either have over another? How do brightness, light penetration, focus, etc compare between the two? What other lights would you suggest in place of either of those two to serve the same purposes?

Thanks!

OMS Vega is a very bright light. Small though and uses expensive batteries.

John

Hehe, just checked the Vega out, and I've got enough dead flashlights laying around because I'm too cheap for lithium 3 volts :p About the only time my surefire in my car's got batteries in it is when I stumble across a box at work and sneak them out of the armory.

Fair enough, I'm hard on my surefire lights too (gotta buy the LED module)... but the Vega is a backup light. I hardly ever use them but they are there if I need them. They get used more passing them to others that I am diving with for them to use.

John

Yes, the Vega batteries are expensive. However they have a shelf life of 10 years. Most alkalines start to corrode after 1 year. Throw in the moist environment, and....

Small price to pay for a backup light that is actually ready when you need it.

The rat and the scout are interchangeable. Buy the one that makes you happy. Or support the shop that gives you the best service. Or buy whichever is cheaper.

For real backup lights I'd buy:

Gulftex Proton Torpedo
Salvo Rat
Halcyon Scout

That's pretty much my list in no particular order.

For maximum value for the money I'd take a look at the old body style scout light at Extreme Exposure. Exact same as the current Scout's except for the styling of the delrin canister and you can upgrade to LED w/ a UK SL4 module later on if you want.
Old-Style Scout Backup Lights | Extreme Exposure

Also, check ebay and forums for primary lights, 10 watt HID's go for $300-400 recently, a great deal.

The Scout with the UK4 eLED module is one very nice light, as long as you're tall enough to fit it easily on your harness.

I don't know about the Rat, but the Rat, Jr. has a more diffuse beam. It's a better light for night diving in clear water, and it's good enough to get you out of a cave, but for signaling, there are better lights.

I have the Halcyon Scout LED and feel it's of high quality construction upon inspection. It has a robust feel and you have a very tight centered beam that shouts.

I sold my Princeton Tec Mini and the Torent LED in place of this light as my primary, I too use the Scout for simple exploring in the shallows.

But now I'm awaiting my Halcyon Explorer 9 amp, 21 watt HID, should arrive next week. I'm excited about trying that out.

But having said that, I am very short only 5'5 and feel the Scout fits perfect on my Eclipse harness, I dive singles. It in no way interferes with any part of my arm or body as it lies there waiting for deployment.

It's a great light if you want to pay the price for it. I'm sure other lights in it's class are better priced like the Rat by Salvo.

I for one am into the robust look of the light.

MG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom