Scout Questions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a chance to work with a local scout camp this summer as a dive instructor... Could any of you that are familiar with that process give me some advice. I am trying to get my plan of action.... Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks,,, Clay

You have to specify which kind of Scouts. Boy Scouts is a very different organization than Girl Scouts.

when does your camp start? I do this in Florida and have done so since 1998.

I do it for Camp La No Che.

If your camp starts after June 1st then I invite you down here to see how I do it.
What typr of program are you offering? Discover Scuba or certification

Depending upon the requirements of the local council, you may have to attend the National Camping School and take the aquatics director certification course, or some other related course.

As an adult leader, the requirements are different than just being a scout waterfront staff member.

the K

Craborn,

I direct a GS camp in Georgia. More than happy to answer any questions you might have. We do run a SCUBA program but I outsource our instruction to a SCUBA shop in Atlanta. They provide all equipment etc.... And we do like the words "Transfer of liability a lot".

Hello again all, sorry I could not respond yesterday. I am going to be working with boy scouts. It will not be a certification course. Just like a try scuba. That is all I can think about doing. If they are interested I am going to have a waiver signed and let them try it one at a time. YES, I am going to be going to an aquatics class soon. I am excited about it. This is my first time, I love working with children and I love the water. Thanks the imput. Any info will help..... Clay

Craborn,

What we do and this works very well, is we put 20 kids in the pool at a time, they must be 12+. We teach all 20 snorkeling skills, fin kicks, clearing their snorkels, then we teach them surface dives and ear clearing. After this we split the group into 2 and 10 girls and 3 instructors go and work with the girls on SCUBA in the shallow end, they teach them about the equipment, how to clear their regulators and then they let them swim around for about 20 minutes shallow end only. The other girls play in the shallow deep end with the masks fins and snorkels, then they switch. The girls love it and have a fabulous time. Only our better swimmers are allowed to participate. Have fun this summer. Working at camp is a lot of fun!

THanks a lot ... I am very excited about the classes. I appreciate you. I am thinking the same thing you just told me. I wish the camp started tomorrow...... Clay

Craborn,
You may want to look at the SCUBA BSA requirements and use them as a guide for which skills to teach.

Here are the requirements http://www.meritbadge.com/awd/scuba.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom