Scout light or Mini Scout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagonoj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning to buy a back up light, the choices are Scout or Mini scout. Aside from the size is there any difference between them in terms of brightness or burn time? What is the advantage of the Xenon bulb? Pro & cons

Any alternative DIR back up light aside from Halcyon?

Minis are 2-c cell, standards are 3. The mini will definitely have a shorter burn time, but didn't seem all that less bright than the standards. I have some Photons as well, but they seem burly which is not a plus for someone with a small frame.

To lengthen the burn time of the minis, I might be worth going to the LED bulb.

When comparing LED standard size to Xenon standard size the LED is much brighter and bluer than the Xenon, although creates a slightly bigger beam. The LED beam is still tight enough to allow signalling.

The minis look less bright to me. The LED version seems comparable (identical?) -- I believe because there's a constant-current circuit driving the LED -- burntime will be shorter.

The LED version has sick burn time, like 40 hours or something like that.

lamont:
The minis look less bright to me. The LED version seems comparable (identical?) -- I believe because there's a constant-current circuit driving the LED -- burntime will be shorter.

that doesn't parse at all like i intended. i don't think i had enough coffee today. the mini-non-LED looks less bright than the standard scout. the LED and mini-LED seem the same to me (IIRC with the two I compared the mini-LED actually looked a little brighter than the LED for whatever reason). mer is right, the burntime difference is kinda irrelevant...

Let me summarize:

BURNTIME
Xenon (the SL4 bulb) - on the order of hours
LED - on the order of days

BRIGHTNESS
Mini LED vs. standard LED = same
Mini Xenon vs. standard Xenon = mini should be dimmer (2 cells is less voltage than 3 cells)
Generally Xenon vs LED - LED brighter and bluer, but slightly more diffuse beam than Xenon (both fine for signaling)

STANDARDS
GUE standards still mention 3-c cell inline lights for backups, no mention of LED or Xenon.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom