Scout Light Clone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw a link to a website that had a secondary light very similar to the Halyon Scout light. Does anyone have the site or information about the light?

Another question: Would a SS split ring be an alternative to the nylon cave line as a snap clip attachment?

ABQdiver once bubbled...
I saw a link to a website that had a secondary light very similar to the Halyon Scout light. Does anyone have the site or information about the light?

Another question: Would a SS split ring be an alternative to the nylon cave line as a snap clip attachment?

http://www.canadianextreme.ca/lights.html

Use cave line as it provides a cuttable link between the light and bolt snap eliminating a metal to metal link.That way you can cut the light off of the bolt snap should the snap fail to open and you can not remove it from the D-ring.

Forgot to add that i own a canadian extreme light and it has worked great.I really like the double o-ring for added sealing against leakage.

for the quick reply lal7176, I thought I saved that link but couldn't find it anywhere.

The cuttable connection was my guess, thanks for the corroboration.

I use 550 cord, which is stronger than cave line, and for me easier to come by. You can buy it at any military surplus store.

Has anyone compared these lights to the Halcyon version?

$65.00 is about $30.00 cheaper than what EE wants for them. They look identical to me.

cadet diver once bubbled...
I use 550 cord, which is stronger than cave line, and for me easier to come by. You can buy it at any military surplus store.

Make sure you dont end up with some primacord by mistake!:boom: :D

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

$65.00 is about $30.00 cheaper than what EE wants for them. They look identical to me.

They both use the UK4 Bezel and reflector, both are Delrin bodies, both use the same battery configuration, both make light!!!
There is almost no differance between the two as far as physical construction goes.

There is only ONE major differance.............

Dave

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

The only difference I can see, besides the Halcyon logo on the cover cap is the double o-ring. Which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Does anyone have one of these? How does it hold up to "normal" wear and tear of the dive?

If you look at the battery tray in a Halcyon Scout you'll notice that the end is rolled over and sits in a little groove on the end of the body. The roll makes for a more consistent connection between the reflector and tray.

In the clones that I've seen and used (quite a bit, actually) the tray is made of a straight piece of copper. In these the tray side twists around the batteries each time it is turned on or off until it gets shortened enough that the light only contacts when the head is turned all the way in. The end of the tray on those also digs into the metal of the reflector and makes a bumpy surface there. Once this happens they will turn on and off every time they are tapped, which is really unsafe for obvious reasons.

I've seen this happen with 5 lights of the same make.

I don't know about all the different varieties of clones, and the ones I have aren't the canadian extremes, but I would not use anything without the rolled tray top. Personally, I think the Halcyons are worth the extra money.

Maybe somebody could comment on their clones?

PS I have heard that Halcyon introduced their H logo bezels because of frequent changes and variations in quality of the UK bezels.

I have canadian extremes and havent had a problem yet. but i do think that they do not have the roll. THey have the solid copper piece. However, regular inspection maitance would prevent any safety issues.

And Det Cord (what some call primer cord) does not tie small enough knots for holding lights on. It will open a door though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom