scopolomine patch washes off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robtjm

Registered
Reaction score
After a bout with seasickness I now dive with a transderm scop patch. It works pretty well if it stays on, but quite often it washes off by the end of the dive. I have tried putting waterproof tape over the patch, but the tape washes off too.

Any tips on how to get the patch to adhere for the duration of the dive?

Tried duct tape? Seriously, put patch on arm and wrap with duct tape.
Like the old saying goes.....When the going gets tough....the tough gets duct tape!

The instructions for the patch specify that it be stuck just behind the ear. I could loop the duct tape around my head. But I think I'd rather be sick than attempt to remove the duct tape from my scalp.

hey, i was told that those patches arent meant for divers - something about them getting wet and the dosage spiking or something and causing adverse affects- was i mislead by my instructor?

terrible news considering they were the only thing that worked for my dive buddy. (a friend of mine has an Rx for them for use while fishing, and she let my dive buddy try them and they worked great!)

I hadn't heard that. My doctor prescribed them for me, knowing I inteded to use them for scuba.

To be on the safe side, I just called DAN about it. The fellow I spoke with said there are no conclusive studies, but that it does not appear to be a problem. He said scopolomine patches are approved by the Navy for use with their divers. He did warn that if you use them more than three days in a row you risk withdrawal symptoms. That is a concern for me as I'm headed down to Bonaire Saturday for a week (Woo Hoo!). Anyway, your dive buddy should probably contact DAN and verify all of this.

The fellow from DAN didn't have any recommendations about getting the patches to adhere during diving.

I know some who take the patch off for the dive, then put it back on topside.
Bill

Robtjm:
After a bout with seasickness I now dive with a transderm scop patch. It works pretty well if it stays on, but quite often it washes off by the end of the dive. I have tried putting waterproof tape over the patch, but the tape washes off too.

Any tips on how to get the patch to adhere for the duration of the dive?

We've had very good luck with the patches staying in place through several days of diving on live aboards. We always wash the skin behind the ear thoroughly, and dry it (typically after taking a shower) then apply the patch. It will usually stay on through 3 days of diving 4-5 dives/day, but the skin does have to be very clean before applying.

Cleaning the area with alcohol before applying might work as well.

Scopolomine also comes in a pill. I've had good luck with them and don't have to worry about tape.

Joe

http://www.motionsickness.net/

Try Scopace and see if it works for you. I personally have never had any issues with Transderm Scop. Scopace makes me feel weird 30 minutes after taking it and it lasts for about 15 minutes.

i've had the same problems with the patch. when you put it on, make sure that you get all the hair out from behind your ear, even the really short (peach fuzz) hairs can interfere with the stickiness. seeing how these things can be expensive and its a waste when they wash away after the dive, i've switched to the pill form of the medication. works just the same but without the worry of the patch falling off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom