Scootering fun and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just finished a video of a spectacularly fun dive I had last Monday at Point Lobos, California.

All the positive factors seemed to converge resulting in one of the most fun dives I've ever had. Conditions afforded up to 80 feet of viz, comfort in the water, my skills, buddy's skills, team work, scooter skills, gas consumption, etc all added up to a wonderful dive. I definitely owe this to my Fundies training and the last year of practice in preparation for Tech One with JJ in October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSj7Zu-eWBs

Nice trim

(and no I am not coming onto you........before anyone starts)

You sure look comfortable with that scooter! I'll be thrilled if I can get there myself.

I really enjoyed the part of the video where you had somebody light up the scene and bring out the colors. The amazing color was one of the big surprises for me with our trip to Monterey.

TSandM:
You sure look comfortable with that scooter! I'll be thrilled if I can get there myself.

I really enjoyed the part of the video where you had somebody light up the scene and bring out the colors. The amazing color was one of the big surprises for me with our trip to Monterey.
Yea, on scootering, doing a class on it made a huge difference. Do you have a scooter? Last time you were down here at Pt Lobos, I didn't see you with one.

On the video, I was playing with my light and camera. I defocused my HID light and it worked out pretty well, except you can see a darker "hole" of light in the middle of the beam when I do that. I've now mounted my little camera on the left side of the Goodman Handle of my HID light, can't wait to play with that.

The colors are incredible aren't they?

jjones9527, I like "Woofer******'s notes on winter diving" as well, can't find the link on OD for it, do you have it?

Heh, found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRp5gZYIahs

Please, no comments on tethers, ice diving etc. it's all been said before :)

No, Doc, I didn't have the scooter then. We got them a couple of months ago. I keep trying to get into a class to get some help on using them, but we can't seem to get one together when an instructor and enough students are available :( Meanwhile, I don't have much trigger time yet, to get better at using it.

I've been playing with UW video a little bit myself, and lighting (unless you have one of the big strobe arm systems) is challenging. Next time, I'm going to try to get my buddy to defocus HIS light, too, and see if overlapping the two will get rid of the central dark spot.

TSandM:
No, Doc, I didn't have the scooter then. We got them a couple of months ago. I keep trying to get into a class to get some help on using them, but we can't seem to get one together when an instructor and enough students are available :( Meanwhile, I don't have much trigger time yet, to get better at using it.

I've been playing with UW video a little bit myself, and lighting (unless you have one of the big strobe arm systems) is challenging. Next time, I'm going to try to get my buddy to defocus HIS light, too, and see if overlapping the two will get rid of the central dark spot.

Buy a $1 small white opaque bait bucket at any bait and tackle store. Cut out the bottom or side of the bucket, and make a filter that fits over your light. You will lose some intensity, but you will get a flat fill light out of the deal. There are more professional=expensive ways to do it, but this works well. Works even better on closer subjects. Don't try to illuminate the entire ocean.

Cheers :D

shoredivr:
jjones9527, I like "Woofer******'s notes on winter diving" as well, can't find the link on OD for it, do you have it?

Heh, found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRp5gZYIahs

Please, no comments on tethers, ice diving etc. it's all been said before :)

My link should take you to all of his videos. I was cracking up the day he shot that one. Nothing like getting out and goofing off with a camera and some scooters.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom