scooter recommendation please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's hard to see why it's the "best dpv ever made!" when it's heavier, slower, has less thrust, and is shorter-ranged than designs from SS or Logic Dive Gear. But I guess that SUEX dealer bit clears it up. I guess saying it's a midlevel DPV manufacturer with acceptable products just doesn't sound as good as a bunch of bull:censored:.

"WKPP uses it!" = I can't be bothered to spell out actual facts concerning this thing's alleged superiority, but if I invoke the magic word maybe some DIR/GUE suckers will buy my stuff.

Fixed it for you!
Bear in mind that you either need scooter-equipped buddies or you need to accept you'll be [-]diving solo[/-] towing them. Trying to scooter with a non-scooter buddy does [-]n't[/-] work.
I do it all the time. Just make sure you can swim yourself back to where you need to go.

Fixed it for you!

I do it all the time. Just make sure you can swim yourself back to where you need to go.

Me, too. (Peter taught me how, when I was often a towee in my pre-scooter days.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Lecter, also... Don't forget that the Suex has something like 8 penetration points through the hull. This is potentially several places where a leak can occur. How many are on the Genesis.

We considered becoming a Suex dealer at my dive shop. We rode it for several weaks. It was okay. It wasn't very fast. Wasn't very light. Had tons of places to fail. It was expensive considering its speed and range.

What really answered the question on whether to stock them was this.... Where do you send it to in order to get repaired, and what's the cost of that. Answer that question, and you'll know if you want a Suex.

Boy Suex is certainly getting a pounding here :)
I own a Suex Xjoy 14 and love it. It's just a fast as any of my old SS's. I did consider it a bit pokey 2 weeks ago while towing myself and a buddy, both in full tech gear. However we were still moving faster than a swimming pace so I had no complaints. It's very light compared to my SS's and so far all the concerns I read about the light weight being an issue in heavy current hasn't materialized. It's a sweet little recreational scooter and since the OP is located in France servicing should be much simpler than shipping back and fourth to the US.
That being said, I seriously looked at the Cuda back when doing my research but it was very pricy comparatively. I just checked and the prices have come down quite a bit, a Cuda or whatever next gen comes out may be my next choice in a few years.

SUEX parts and service readily available in the USA, High Springs Florida to be exact. My Joy37 goes 220' per minute for 3.5 hours which is plenty fast and only weighs 44 pounds, that's considered heavy? SUEX were used for world record cave dives, not dependable? How so? I posted a video from the other day where we covered well over a mile beginning in deeper water offshore exploring wrecks, etc at the end of the dive after well over an hour trigger time with doubles and two stages and pulling torpedo I still had 70% battery available.
I am very pleased with my various Suexs and so are all their users. I have always own more than one dpv for more than past 20 years...that may be given weight, or not, that I have found them the best.

Let's see…there's the hull/tail cone fitting, which is dual o-ring sealed fixed in place by a lock strip/keyway and never opened for charging; and there's the vent plug at the nose…never open that, not even sure how it's sealed; and there's the power plug in the nose, which seems to be welded in place or something. So…3 openings in the entire hull?

Suex isn't a bad DPV any more than a Suunto is a bad computer, a pistol-grip Princeton Tec is a bad light, or an air2 is a bad regulator. I'm sure it performs rather well, and it beats the pants off a blade fish or a seadoo. But if you want to call it the best DPV ever, expect to hear from those of us who dive better DPVs. It's a ridiculous claim for a solidly mid-range DPV…maybe you love them because they build the Halcyon-branded toys?

I dive a Genesis 1200............... for all the reasons above!:D

I simply phucking ROCKS!:cool2:

I had a Hollis H160 before and it was a great starter scooter. My dive buddy rides it now. We still have a Mako that my better half wont give up until she can get a Genesis 600.

The Genesis 600 looks like a playa, but geez, finding one to play with in south Floriduh is tough. Plus I gotta buy at least two...

Back
Top Bottom