Scientific Dive Class Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just finished the scientific diving class at Aquarena Springs (in San Marcos) this morning and all I can say is WOW. I've read other posts, reviews and, trip reports but you just can's get an appreciation for the diving there until you do it yourself. It was rainy and overcast all weekend here in San Marcos but there was still about 40' of visibility in the crystal clear water, which some of the instructors stated as being horrible (usually 60'-90') We had a fairly large group taking the class but broke up into smaller groups to dive. The springs are running at a fabulous rate (the lake turns itself over about 4 times a day) due to all the recent rain, so runoff caused the slight decrease in vis. The water clears rapidly so even if someone hits some silt visibility returns quickly. We had a true night dive last night of almost an hour, which was beautiful. The morning dive was pristine, had to cut it a little short cause my buddy's BC inflator hose was leaking but other than it was GREAT. Surface temp was around 70 degrees and I got a 68 degree reading at 22 feet. I was diving a 2 piece 3mm wetsuit and was comfortable. If you live close, and have the time TAKE THIS CLASS! It has many more rewards, you get to give back a little and have beautiful diving.
http://www.txstate.edu/aquarena/diving.html

Sounds terriffic!

I'll probably have to wait until sometime next year. Weekends are at a premium with the holidays and all.

Maybe I can get a few folks to go with me!

I've done the class, but I need to go back and dive there before Bridget forgets all about me and takes me off the list.

Hi,

Congratulation! It looks like a great course we completed.

If you don't mind, could you clarify the distiction between scientifc diver certification and scientific diver authorization.

Did you get the certification after the class? It is only $200? Wow, it is so cheap.

Safe dive!

hoosier

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Just finished the scientific diving class at Aquarena Springs (in San Marcos) this morning and all I can say is WOW. I've read other posts, reviews and, trip reports but you just can's get an appreciation for the diving there until you do it yourself. It was rainy and overcast all weekend here in San Marcos but there was still about 40' of visibility in the crystal clear water, which some of the instructors stated as being horrible (usually 60'-90') We had a fairly large group taking the class but broke up into smaller groups to dive. The springs are running at a fabulous rate (the lake turns itself over about 4 times a day) due to all the recent rain, so runoff caused the slight decrease in vis. The water clears rapidly so even if someone hits some silt visibility returns quickly. We had a true night dive last night of almost an hour, which was beautiful. The morning dive was pristine, had to cut it a little short cause my buddy's BC inflator hose was leaking but other than it was GREAT. Surface temp was around 70 degrees and I got a 68 degree reading at 22 feet. I was diving a 2 piece 3mm wetsuit and was comfortable. If you live close, and have the time TAKE THIS CLASS! It has many more rewards, you get to give back a little and have beautiful diving.
http://www.txstate.edu/aquarena/diving.html

I took the course in February but havent been back. If anyone wants to go sometime the next few weekends on a Sunday let me know and I would be up for it.

Hey Jay, how was the vis in the training area? The A&M Scuba Club was in there right before you folks on Saturday, and the water clarity "afterwards" dropped to about 12 feet. I should have told the divers to use their hands... half of them lost their buddies too. Yuk.

Anyways, hope it cleared up some for you guys. If you found any dive knives or weights lying around on the bottom, they're probably ours, ha ha.

hoosier:
If you don't mind, could you clarify the distiction between scientifc diver certification and scientific diver authorization.

You have to take the Scientific Diver Certification course in order to be Authorized to dive there. The diver Authorization is basically you submitting your request to dive a certain date and time and getting the approval from Bridget.

When we got back from lunch the water in the training area was totally clear, I had such a great time can't wait to get my camera/housing bought and in the water there for practice.

We will be taking the class in December. We are looking forward to it.

Jester....... don't forget your friends man.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom