Science: Apex Shark Population Declines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Science Magazine published a report on Cascading Effects of the Loss of Apex Predatory Sharks from a Coastal Ocean on March 30, 2007.

A summary of the same article on CBC News

I listened to an interview with the authors on the BBC. If I can recall the details of the interview accurately:

1. Shark fishing by man has reduced apex shark populations by 90 percent. (Editorial: So much for claims that shark fishing for sport has a neglible effect on populations.)

2. The massive decrease in apex shark populations has led to a 10-fold increase in the populations of apex shark prey populations such as skates, rays, etc.

3. The incease in skate and ray populations has decimated certain shellfish species such as scallops. One researcher noted that in previous studies passing skates and rays had no appreciable effect on local shellfish populations. But now the skate and ray populations are so large that shellfish are virtually eliminated in their entirety in areas where skates and rays feed.

The cause and effect were verified by placing closely-placed vertical stakes in the sea floor to prevent skates and rays from feeding in that area. The shellfish within the staked area were untouched whereas shellfish in the surrounding area were decimated.

3. Robert E. Hueter, director of shark research at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Fla., said scientists have warned about the effects of shark depletion for years but there have been few studies to back them up. This report, he said, "demonstrates plausible links between the decline of sharks, the subsequent rise of their prey, and the resulting decline of those prey species' prey. You don't have to be a marine biologist to grasp this connection."

I prefer scallops over shark, so save a shark today.

sgad:
I prefer scallops over shark, so save a shark today.

Actually you may have been eating rays when you thought you were eating scallops. The rays are often caught and the pectoral fin flesh cut out by a process like a cookie cutter and sold as sea scallops (although truth in packaging laws have greatly reduced this practice).

There are a number of other studies showing impacts of apex predator removal leading to changes in herbivorous fish populations which resulted in algal growth on coral reefs. If I rem,ember correctly, the mechanism was groupers increased in number due to the absence of sharks, and the groupers fed on the herbivorous fish.

drbill:
Actually you may have been eating rays when you thought you were eating scallops. The rays are often caught and the pectoral fin flesh cut out by a process like a cookie cutter and sold as sea scallops (although truth in packaging laws have greatly reduced this practice).

Interesting, can you please provide a source to support that?

A source? Actually it was fairly common knowledge some time ago. You can tell the difference by the way the muscle fibers run. True scallops have muscle fibers running end to end. Ray wings have muscle fibers running "across" the piece if you look at it from one end. This is the reason that food packagers had to re-label so-called "sea scallops" in the past.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's when I used to spearfish, we'd take bat rays and create "scallops" out of them ourselves. They were fairly tasty, although nowhere near as sweet as the rock scallops here are.

Doc Harry,

I am so happy to see that you posted the results of that paper (quite accurately I might add). My PhD supervisor, Dr. Ransom Myers (aka RAM) and my colleagues Julia Baum and Travis Sheppard, are the authors on the paper. Sadly, RAM died 2 weeks ago of brain cancer. It is sooo great to see that people are mentioning his work on this forum and that his good work will continue to be spread.

Thank you.
Christine

Well, if the scallops aren't sweet; I'll send them back:) I don't care for fishy tasting fish. The lighter and whiter the better.

TX

Doc Harry:
I listened to an interview with the authors on the BBC. If I can recall the details of the interview accurately.................

Doc Harry, I know you are just the messenger and re-posting an article. But they have taken a very narrow study site and broadbrushed it to make it seem worldwide.

1st the study was done on a very narrow site off of middle east coast US section. This information has nothing to do with the rest of the east coast of the US, Caribbean, Bahama's, etc, where there is very healthy population of sharks based on recent trip reports from our own Scubaboard members who I trust.

2ndly, Plenty of people are now openly dis-agreeing with this study and finding it fatally flawed. Quoted from this link :Not so sure was Steve Murawski, director of scientific programs at the National Marine Fisheries Service. He said the links between the large sharks, medium size rays and bay scallops were “tenuous.”

3rd, The report's primary author,Dr. Myers, unfortunately just died so he will not be available for us to challenge his publication. It is important to note Dr Meyer's funding came from grants from several pre-set agenda organizations like the Pew's Institute.

Again, Doc Harry, you are just the messenger. Propagating it here is a personal choice. The grant funders are the ones who yelled "Fire" trying to instill panic into the theatre. This publication is another example of grant money getting in the way of true facts.

Johnoly:
.....Again, Doc Harry, you are just the messenger. Propagating it here is a personal choice. The grant funders are the ones who yelled "Fire" trying to instill panic into the theatre. This publication is another example of grant money getting in the way of true facts.

It is apparent that many people in this world won't be satisfied until sharks end up on the endangered species list......

Back
Top Bottom