Schuylkill artifact diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaducer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

I was out in PA the other day, I had some time to kill so I found myself on the Schuylkill River Trail near Valley Forge. Knowing that there was a supply area there fed by boats, I was wondering if anyone ever dove for artifacts there?

Is it legal, every find anything?

Got new drysuit that would love to get some schuylkill mud all over it!!

Where was this area? Is it in the National Parks?

It was very close, like on the border. I believe the parking areas for the trail itself are not part of the National Park though. The river runs right alongside the trail.

I am not even sure that it is legal to take artifacts there though. I am trying to find some info on it first...

I've been thinking about doing this for some time, especially around bridges. However, you always have to have someone on the lookout because some a*******e will toss a rock at the bubbles or a cement block!

I think there is plenty of loot to be had. I'd have to look into the artifacts regulations, but it's not something prevalent in PA. Although, it there is a buck to be made off of it, Fast Eddy will get it....

I've been thinking about doing this for some time, especially around bridges. However, you always have to have someone on the lookout because some a*******e will toss a rock at the bubbles or a cement block!

I think there is plenty of loot to be had. I'd have to look into the artifacts regulations, but it's not something prevalent in PA. Although, it there is a buck to be made off of it, Fast Eddy will get it....

I actually live pretty close and would be in either to dive, or pick off rock tossing punks with my shiny new .45.....or powerhead.

Keep me in mind. I may also have up to 5 more guys to make it interesting.

I'd be up for this as well

I was just looking around on Valley Forge Park and across the river is a place called Betzwood Picnic area. It has a boat launching ramp, so it should be easy access. I don't know the depth around there, but it looks like a good place to start. Only problem would be current and having someone picking us up on a drift dive.

It looks promising, but more investigation is warranted. Maybe a trial dive along the bridge supports?

I was just looking around on Valley Forge Park and across the river is a place called Betzwood Picnic area. It has a boat launching ramp, so it should be easy access. I don't know the depth around there, but it looks like a good place to start. Only problem would be current and having someone picking us up on a drift dive.

It looks promising, but more investigation is warranted. Maybe a trial dive along the bridge supports?

I would be willing to give that a go in a couple weeks, maybe Saturday the 24th?

Can't do the 24th - but keep me posted...anybody learn about permits or anything - OR 'don't ask don't tell'? Does maritime salvage law pertain to inland rivers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom