Schrader Valve in BCD Inflator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clutchcargo

Contributor
Reaction score
My BCD has developed a slow constant fill problem. I took the inflator apart and discovered that there's only a schrader valve in there. That seems simple enough to replace. Is there anything special about the schrader valve used in BCDs or is this the same valve and size found on car tires and bicycle tubes?
Thx
Cjh

I have a lot more experience with (and prefer) balanced inflators that use a little higher tech assembly. I can't give you a definitive answer on the size of the schrader valve used in your particular BC inflator but it would be simple enough to remove it, examine it, and compare it to a std schrader valve.

There is no doubt a special valve and part number for it specified by the manufacturer and the extra couple of bucks in cost would be worth the piece of mind. But if I were in a pinch a long way away from a dealer and a generic schader valve fit properly and operated properly I would not hesitate to use it.

It's exactly the same size as a standard short Schraeder valve. Only difference I can see is that it might be chromed or even made of stainless steel. We used to buy them in bulk from Trident and sell them for a buck.

Neil

You can safely use the ones used in car tires.
Teoretically you can get a better grade for example the ones used in missiles but if you can't locate them in less then 10 minuets, just don't bother.

That's what I thought. The ones used in car tires would have to be stainless too. They would cease up in no time if they weren't.
Thanks All
Cjh

a little silicone wouldn't kill it if you dive alot of salt

Back
Top Bottom