School a newbie on wetsuits please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mirazyme is an anti bacterial, far more effective than soap.
Gear Aid is the new branding and owner for McNett in the US.
That’s good to know about the brands. So is there really no need to use both shampoo and the Mirazyme?

Yeah I mean if it's better to do both I would rather spend the extra $10 and do it. In the grand scheme of things that is nothing.

I just wish I had places local to get em but it looks like only REI has them but the ones near me don't have both in stock, just the Myrazyme stuff.

EDIT:

I just ordered the shampoo on Amazon and it arrives tomorow, and then I'll grab the myrazyme stuff at REI tomorrow since it's in stock. Then tomorrow night I'll start cleaning it. Thanks for all the help!

So I'm assuming the shampoo goes on first, and then the myrazyme stuff? Do you need to let it dry between applying the two chemicals?

Yeah, exactly as JackD said, Gear Aid is McNett. I'm not sure if it was some corporate purchase or just a marketing thing, but exact same products.

I still use a wetsuit shampoo to physically clean the suit (and my BCD) of any salt, sand, and whatever else. Myrazyme is an enzyme cleaner, the enzymes attack and neutralize/kill odor causing bacteria and stuff like that. No need to dry between shampoo and myrazyme. And I just usually get both from Amazon... but most outdoor supply stores should carry McNett/Gear Aid also.

You can hang your wetsuit for some time, best with a dedicated wetsuit hanger to spread the weight across the inside of the shoulders. It is possible that, after long hanging storage, the shoulders have a bit of a "stretch pocket" bulge on top. You can see that most if its hung while wet and the water weight stretches the shoulder material. If hanging, it's best to hang the wetsuit over the actual closet rod at the waist (half on one side, half on the other). Am I making sense? (sorry, it's early AM)

The name c
Yeah, exactly as JackD said, Gear Aid is McNett. I'm not sure if it was some corporate purchase or just a marketing thing, but exact same products.

I still use a wetsuit shampoo to physically clean the suit (and my BCD) of any salt, sand, and whatever else. Myrazyme is an enzyme cleaner, the enzymes attack and neutralize/kill odor causing bacteria and stuff like that. No need to dry between shampoo and myrazyme. And I just usually get both from Amazon... but most outdoor supply stores should carry McNett/Gear Aid also.

You can hang your wetsuit for some time, best with a dedicated wetsuit hanger to spread the weight across the inside of the shoulders. It is possible that, after long hanging storage, the shoulders have a bit of a "stretch pocket" bulge on top. You can see that most if its hung while wet and the water weight stretches the shoulder material. If hanging, it's best to hang the wetsuit over the actual closet rod at the waist (half on one side, half on the other). Am I making sense? (sorry, it's early AM)
The name change is the result of Coghlan's, the camping gadget folks, buying McNetts.

Well there ya go! I learned 2 new things from a wetsuit thread! Mako has a cleaner (I'll try next time when I run out), and the Coghlan's thing.

Thanks guys! This is why we love SB!
:cheers:

I got my shampoo and myrazyme today so I'm going to give it the treatment this evening. I'm going to just fill the tub with enough water to put the suit in and then put some shampoo in it, and kind of swish it around in there, then rinse it off.

Then I'll drain the water and do the same but with the myrazyme and then won't rinse it and I'll hang it over the shower rod curtain to dry, and once dry I'm going to store it on the wetsuit hanger I have.

I'm hoping that is the correct process to keep it as fresh as possible.

How long should I let it sit in the myrazyme for?

Also, is just cramming it into one of those large Home Depot buckets an okay way to do this, and let it sit in there soaking? Or is the tub better where it can actually be flat and in it's normal state while sitting in the mixture?

Bingo, you've got it. No particular time for soaking in an enzyme cleaner, just get it well incorporated into the wetsuit, grab a snack then pull it out. Bath tubes are great for washing wetsuits, but something like a 5 gal bucket won't be enough space. There's no real reason for the suit to be flat for washing.... Many people use a large rubbermaid bin, outdoor type trash can, or even their dive gear box if they're setup that way. You'll see, it's not such a process really, just shampoo, then enzyme for all of the wet gear....

Cheers buddy

Okay thanks.

I just did the shampoo stuff on my booties an wetsuit and kinda just squeezed it for like 5-10 minutes in the water/shampoo mix then rinsed it off.

I then emptied the tub and put the tub full of clean water and the myrazyme solution and whished my booties and wetsuit as well as the gopro handle in there, then let it sit for like 30+ minutes.

Now it's hanging over the railing of the shower inside out to dry and I put a fan in there just to blow air on it while it dries.

Hopefully this will be good enough for everything.

I noticed too with the mix, the shampoo said to mix 1oz which was a cap full, and then the myrazyme said to mix .5oz which was a cup full, but the caps are both the same size lol. I'm also not a fan of the packaging in the little baggy thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom