Scary stuff this Halloween weekend - eel hole!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessica Anderson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We've all seem some scary stuff out on the water before, but this weekend was especially scary. Maybe because it was Halloween?
We were diving off Boynton
Boynton dives.jpg

and one of my friends spotted a lobster so he goes after it. Except that we both see that there is an eel in the hole too. Seems like an obvious decision to me - leave the lobster.
He didn't think so and stuck his hand in the hole! I nearly had a heart attack underwater. Thankfully he managed to retrieve his hand all in one piece but I was surprised!
All I could think was that, though we were close to the inlet, it would still take a long time to get him to the hospital when that thing bit into his hand!

What scary things did you see on the water this Halloween weekend?

I have 2 scars running 2 inches on either side of my right ring finger from a small golden spot eel that was unseen in a lobster hole.Also stung by lionfish that way.Extra careful now when I reach in anywhere.

I have nabbed several bugs from eel holes with a "bugger", but there is a strategy.
Given that eels have lousy vision, if I see an Eel and a bug in the same hole,
I use my light and just generally annoy the eel with it from a safe distance.
It can take a minute or so of flashing the Eel in the face with it, but generally the Eel gets tired of the annoyance and will swim on down the reef.
And then I loop the bug.
I have had it happen that the eel will just not vacate the premises though.
So sometimes I just move along.
Chug
No Eel bites as yet.

Last edited:
I know I am probably the only diver in Florida that doesn't Lobsta', but I do seek out Moray's

Sly, yet ballzy critters...two sets of jaws and all...

;LKCJDFL;DJ.jpg

Eels and lobster can be a dangerous combination.
When an eel bites yur thigh....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom