Scared of sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrobinson:
Cold water diver - for a reason...
Hmmm... I hate to mention this, but GW's are cold water fish and usually only found in warmer climes when there's a major current shift, exceptionally cold winter or deep-water upwelling.
From about 23 degrees N or S going towards the equator, they are as common as icebergs.

mrobinson:
Now that I’m going for my first warm water dive.. I’m a little nervous about it. Any suggestions? (Again here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...)

Michelle

Hi Michelle

Don't worry!!! When I first went to Egypt I ran out of the water screaming because I could feel "tiny" fish nibbling at my ankles, I then learnt to dive and have dived with sharks, they don't take any notice of you .... you will love it!!

mrobinson:
Now that I’m going for my first warm water dive.. I’m a little nervous about it. Any suggestions? (Again here's your chance to make fun of me at my expense...)

Michelle
Don't scooter dive in the Caribbean, I've read that the vibration attracts sharks and they'll chase you, something I'd personally like to see myself. The closest I've ever been to being chased was by a friendly Barracuda, who seemed more interested in my shiny D-rings than anything else.

Once in Cayman, I shredded my ankle on a coralhead after getting too close with a scooter, so I was bleeding(slightly) and making shark-attracting noise at the same time, and we still didn't see anything resembling a shark. So I think the potential to see a big shark is highly overrated.

You could go to Bonaire, I've never heard of a GW sighting there, actually I've never seen any shark there. And the diving is outstanding.

Is it just Great Whites or all big sharks? If so, I'd recommend not going to Maui, there's Tigers there. ditto the California coast for GWS's and Baja for similar reasons.

We all have our phobias, yours might be justified in that it's possible that you could get bit. Probably by mistake and not while diving, but I wouldn't surf in some areas for that reason. I have heard of larger sharks sometimes taking a nip just to see what you're made of, more curiousity than feeding though.

P.S. The GWS dives off South Africa probably aren't a great idea for you then. And you might be wary of diving anywhere cold that there's a lot of seals...That's what the airborne GW sharks in South Africa are after.

White Sharks are extremely rare in warm water. They prefer temperate to cold water as they love fatty marine mammals for dinner.

Now Tiger Sharks on the other hand . . .

No Need to fear - - most sharks aren't poisonous. It is a common misconception among newer divers. For that fact most salt water crocs also lack venom.

On the upside sharks tend to only 'nibble' as they have a hard time biting through an AL80.

Always dive with a * buddy. (*slower).

Never dive with chicken bones in your BC pockets. Don't feed the fish either.

If anything cicles you, arches its back, or lifts its pectoral fins, turn to page 128 of the diver handbook.

kevink:
No Need to fear - - most sharks aren't poisonous. It is a common misconception among newer divers. For that fact most salt water crocs also lack venom.

On the upside sharks tend to only 'nibble' as they have a hard time biting through an AL80.

Always dive with a * buddy. (*slower).

Never dive with chicken bones in your BC pockets. Don't feed the fish either.

If anything cicles you, arches its back, or lifts its pectoral fins, turn to page 128 of the diver handbook.

I looked at page 128 of the diver's handbook and it didn't mention anything about anything circling you. :wink:
But as for the arching the back and lifting the pectorial fins, is it really that obvious?
When I see a shark, to me it is a shark (that has sharp teeth), it is a rush, but I don't know if I would quickly recognize an agressive behavior, unless it was bitting me, or someone else. They do seem a little over curious sometimes.

dlndavid:
I looked at page 128 of the diver's handbook and it didn't mention anything about anything circling you. :wink:
But as for the arching the back and lifting the pectorial fins, is it really that obvious?
When I see a shark, to me it is a shark (that has sharp teeth), it is a rush, but I don't know if I would quickly recognize an agressive behavour, unless it was bitting me, or someone else. They do seem a little over curious sometimes.

I think the Psalms are on page 128 (just kidding). I don't have a ton of experience with pelagic sharks, but most reef sharks (gray, white tip, black tip) are reasonably predictable, as long as they are not feeding, all bets are off when you feed of chum these guys. They will give you warning to let you know that you are not welcome. Anything more than a simple 'fly-by' would fall into this category.

mrobinson:

Ok - I'll weigh in.

So what's wrong with being 'a little nervous'? It'll probably just heighten your awareness, which is probably a good thing anyway - it will make you more observant.

In the (highly) unlikely event that somebody gets a little over-aggressive, in the case of the more normal sharks you've got two pretty good measures at hand. (*Definitely* forget what these jokers tell you about knives.) If practicable, increase your depth; they'll likely start ignoring you immediately. Also, get your alternate second out and keep your finger on the purge button, ready to make lots of bubbles. Most fish avoid bubbles, and sharks seem to have a particular aversion to them.

Also don't stare them in the eye, in the unlikely event you get that close. It can antagonize them.

Most importantly, enjoy the dive.

kevink:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the defensive behavior of a shark is to arch its back and LOWER it's pectoral fins.

dlndavid:
When I see a shark, to me it is a shark (that has sharp teeth), it is a rush, but I don't know if I would quickly recognize an agressive behavior, unless it was bitting me, or someone else. They do seem a little over curious sometimes.
It's pretty obvious...we were photographing a white tip in the sand off Molokini once and as we got close he scooted a little distance away. The second time we got close it was obvious he didn't want to play anymore, he raised his back and thrust his fins forward, circled once, then scooted off into the depths.

I'd call it an attack posture as compared to their normal cruise mode. We never got within 20' of it. I agree with Firebrand, he lowered his pectoral fins into an agressive looking mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom