scared of currents...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lochard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello fellow scuba-boarders,

New member here. Bangkok based. Certified in October 2017 with SSI and did PADI AOW on a live aboard in January 2018. Planning to get Nitrox next month.

I know that I'm kind of jumping ahead of myself, as I'm not that experienced (30 logged dives) but Ive booked two weeks in the Solomon islands for this July. Figure that I'm not getting any younger and I might not be living this close to the western Pacific again.

Question about currents. I managed ok in the Similans with some drift dives, but recently at Green Island, Taiwan, I had to fight so hard to get down to the reef that I seriously thought I was going to be blown off into the open ocean. The DM didn't brief us for the severity of the current at all. We didn't have reef hooks (unlike the other dive party on the boat) and by the time i had hauled myself along the top of the reef to shelter in a crevice i was breathing so hard I felt like my reg wasn't giving me enough air and came close to panicking and heading to the surface. I eventually regained control of my breathing and the rest of the dive continued ok. So now I'm kind of freaked out by the thought of strong currents and how to deal with them.

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

A few easy ways..

Good trim and decent fitness helps a lot

Good fins. Something that is comfortable but can allow you to kick hard when you require and give you movement, whilst not overly exerting you

Reef hooks are only good once you've found a good place to hook in and you want to stay there. A Muck stick (Stainless Steel pointer stick) is much better. You can use it to assist you , or jam it in for a quick break - although I prefer to not stop as it's hard to get going again

Stay low where the current is less and use cover to shield you if possible.

If you're breathing hard, I try to restrict the airflow with my tongue to help me slow down. Just concentrate on breathing slowly

Enjoy and embrace the dive

I find that on the first dive with dry gear I have more bouyancy and if I want to descend quicker I will pour water down wetsuits and into booties to displace some air. That allows me to get down quicker. I have on occasion added 2 lbs of lead on the first dive for the same reason but I have my weight dialed in for what I have - camera, no camera, 3mm jacket verus ful wetsuit, etc. Then take it out on the second dive. I prefer using water.

You might ask if the group or the boat/DM are doing negative entries. Many dive ops want to see everyone ok on the surface before descending. Note that negative entries can have serious consequences if something is not right - air off, gear, ears, kicked in the head by another diver, etc.

Descending head down and kicking works for faster descents but your ears and gear have to be ready.

I use a muck stick and find holes in rocks in fast current if necessary. Many times a ledge or even a big sponges will provide a calm spot. Depressions in the terrain can even provide a stopping point. I will spin so I am head up to the current and descend quickly. It takes a little practice and be prepared to equalize quickly.

In fast currents, I always look ahead for cover in case I want/need it. I stay closer to the bottom for less current.

Diving in currents and if there is surge, is more work. It is especially more work of the boat is moored.

It's OK to add a couple of pounds if you have to get to the bottom in a hurry. However, once there remember The Chairman's Five Rules of Handling Currents ®:
  • Dodge
  • Duck
  • Dip
  • Dive and
  • Dodge

I think you might be fighting the current rather than allowing it to work for you or at least with you.

You might be aware you're doing this or you might be fighting it subsconciously.

The current isn't typically going to make it easier or harder to descend or ascend unless it's associated with a significant up and down current which is rare.

Just roll with it.

And as the other poster said- if you're getting winded quickly and it cannot all be attributed to fighting the current and/or anxiety, evaluate your level of physical fitness. Can you run a mile without feeling like your lungs are are going to explode or your legs are going to collapse? If not, then you've got work to do.

Can you run a mile without feeling like your lungs are are going to explode or your legs are going to collapse?
Rly? My knees wouldn't make it a 100 yds. Can you swim a mile? That I could do, maybe not like Johnny Weissmuller, but more like me. Here's a clue: never try to outpower Mother Nature. I don't care how strong you think you are she's still much, much stronger than you, has far, far more stamina and loves to show, show you who's boss. Outsmart her instead. Work smarter, not harder. Duck, Dip, Duck, Dive and well, Dodge.

Rly? My knees wouldn't make it a 100 yds. Can you swim a mile? That I could do, maybe not like Johnny Weissmuller, but more like me. Here's a clue: never try to outpower Mother Nature. I don't care how strong you think you are she's still much, much stronger than you, has far, far more stamina and loves to show, show you who's boss. Outsmart her instead. Work smarter, not harder. Duck, Dip, Duck, Dive and well, Dodge.

Can you offer a specialty course on that? Currents are my nemesis.

This really falls on the captain. If there is a substantial current the captain should drop you upcurrent so you'll drift to the spot.

In deep water, low viz or strong current we prefer hot dropping as well. Triple check you're good to go, suck the air from your BC and when you roll over the side you don't go back up. Straight to the bottom.

OP, I'd say you should feel more confident rather than scared. You managed to get it together without panicking. Perhaps add a reef hook to your kit and you'll be okay doing a few things suggested here.

What a great learning experience! Take that to your next dive and you'll be more than prepared...along with suggestions above!

Thanks everyone for the positive replies. Really appreciate the subtle tips that you offered. Boat captain did drop us up current but on reflection we hung around on the surface too long and by the time we got down (head first - not head up in my case) we almost missed the pinnacle/reef. I guess i could be in better shape, but I can do a 1km swim in 20 minutes or so. I'll get better fins and practice my kicking more, and my ducking and dodging.

Back
Top Bottom