scared much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't beat yourself up about fear. Fear is what has kept our species alive for thousands of years.

However, you may want to speak with someone about the possibility of acrophobia. (I'm not a doctor, but like to play one on weekends.) It doesn't sound like you frightened of the boat as much as the mental image of a bottomless abyss. In clear water, looking down until there's only dark blue remaining can be intimidating for some. As a new diver, stay where you can see the bottom and ensure the bottom is within your skill limit (~ 40' to 60') That way you have a finite bottom and a finite top as reference points. Good luck.

I know for me, I've caught myself thinking over things that would make me nervous days before the dive, but I've also noticed that when I get in the water I'm so focused on the tasks at hand I completely forget about what makes me nervous.

Something else I've done not related to diving but related to worrying is I will actually say out loud, Stop worrying about that right now. And this is going to make me sound ridiculous, but if I keep going back to that worry, I will continue to repeat it until I occupy my mind with something else. I think it's completely normal to try to process your worry and come up with solutions on how to make it better, just sometimes we can't come up with good answers at that moment.

I have even less experience than you, but I just thought I would throw out there just in case it may help calm your nerves. I'm sure you'll do great!

Well, you're doing your 4th dive off a boat, in the company of much more experienced people who have paid good money to go on the trip -- and you think you are out of line for being nervous and worried about the experience?

I would have frank talk with whoever is planning to be your dive buddy, and be honest about your worries. Talk about what you HAVE done, and what your fears are. Maybe this trip is a very appropriate stretch of your current capabilities, and maybe it's not. Only you can decide that, but you can get some guidance from more experienced colleagues if you are truly honest with them.

My wife has about 75 dives under her belt, and she still gets nervous every time we go on a dive trip. It usually gets better after her first or second dive but she's always a little nervous even though she's a pretty good diver and really enjoys it.

Last summer in Belize, we were diving with a couple from San Diego. Great people. Very experienced divers. The husband was a big, macho looking guy in the construction business. One night at dinner, my wife mentioned how diving makes her nervous, and he said he also gets a little anxious before every dive. I was surprised but took him at his word, and in any case he made my wife feel a lot better.

Afraid of only one thing.... I cannot breathe water...yet. Gain comfort at the levels that you are trained at, dive to depths you are trained to, dive more, get comfortable in the water. Remember almost everything bad that can happen underwater is only a nuisance not an emergency, as long as you are still breathing it is all minutia. the recurring theme here is Dive More!

Dive more.

Seriously, you sounded like me three years ago. I always felt apprehensive and then after I sank under the waves, everything became groovey.

Some people take to the water like fish, most of us have to overcome the innate fear of drowning. It simply takes time and exposure. Somewhere along the way, probably around the 75th dive or so, my apprehensions gone away.

Hello,

I'm generally a nervous diver, though the nerves go once I'm below the surface and I am in control of myself. I am not reliant on my buddy and don't bolt to the surface and stick to my buddy like glue (no wandering off following pretty fish for me!). I'm also worried about ruining dives for the more experienced ones if they feel they have to look after me.

I'd welcome any tips for keeping calm and addressing my nerves. I'll also mention I'm terrified of boats, and not being able to see the bottom! (great choice of hobby!) But once I'm under water I'm happy as larry till the safety stop staring into the blue abyss!

To the OP I learned to dive in Mexico and joined an SAA club when I started diving in the UK so I can understand the nerves ! :)

First thing I'd say is to banish any thoughts of ruining dives for the more experienced out of your head - this is not an issue for them. Why?

a) They have gone through the same process and realise you are just starting out and that you will be anxious and might need some help and encouragement.

b) If they were worried about you, the DO would not let the dive take place.

c) It's likely that these are the first dives of the season and the experienced divers just want to be in the sea to have a bit of fun which of course is what all divers want to do including yourself I imagine. BTW part of the fun for the experienced is watching you and believe me they'll be watching you :) TIP: After the dive, ask them what mistakes they have made and then enjoy the banter - always remember, what goes around comes around :)

Second point,

I found that kitting up time was often the hardest time - it would take me ages to get ready and that would add stress before I got into the water. I'd be getting hot and flustered before I got into the water.

To avoid this, I try to get as much of my kit setup before I get on the boat ie get your regs, BC, cylinder setup before stepping onto the boat and carry the whole lot on board. This is often the easiest way to transport kit on to the boat and is easier than kitting up on a pitching boat.

Once on the boat, ask someone to help you secure the cylinder - I spent a silly amount of time trying to do it myself when all I needed to do was ask someone.

Keep a bottle of water handy and drink from it - a few sips every couple of minutes helps with sea sickness - when I got nervous my mouth would be dry and drinking water would help.

Sit down for a few minutes before the boat sets off and start to think about your exposure equipment. Start getting dressed as soon as you can - weather conditions and type of exposure will determine this but let's be honest here you'll probably take longer than your buddies so start getting dressed before they do and again if you need help ask for it - over time you do get quicker.

I hope this helps in some small way - BTW I used to get really nervous in the water as well so you are well ahead of me.

Hope the dives go well!

I was just outside inspecting my gear when alleluha a few extra thoughts came to mind.

1) When I go off on a trip what gets me nervous? Apart from buddy ( :) ), I get a niggling thought that I might have forgotten something. What I do to help address this is to pack my kit in a particular way.

The first thing I do is put the weightbelt in the car - I check what weight I need - if it's salt I add 3kg and then sling it in the car so I don't forget it.

I pack my kit from the feet upwards. What I mean is that I pack my fins first, followed by instrumentation ie lights/compass/dive computer, DSMB). I then add my BC and regs. The final thing I pack is my exposure equipment: thermal underwear,undersuit, drysuit +KY Jelly (for lubing the seals), gloves and hood.

I also take a bag which contains a towel, underwear, extra clothing and water. I follow this system whenever I go diving - get into a habit of packing your gear in a systematic way and you'll reduce the stress associated with getting to the site. Note I said it helps to address the issue - now and then you do forget something and you've just got to hope that it isn't a showstopper ie if you can, bring spares just in case your buddy forgets something and encourage your buddy to do the same.

2) If you feel a bit anxious about a dive, talk to your club members.

Sometimes a chat with other divers can help alleviate any concerns you might have about a particular site or your own capabilities. This might result in changing a dive site or depth or both - what is vitally important is that you recognise that there will be days when your head screams DON'T DIVE TODAY. When that happens (and it will)
you should not ignore that feeling - you should thumb the dive and let others know you are not diving.

3) If you are driving to a site allow plenty of time to get there. A good rule of thumb we use in our club is to ensure that we should be parked up one hour before ropes off (boat departure time). This gives you time to stretch your legs, go to the loo and get ready for moving kit.

Anyway I'll shut up now as I've run out of things to say.

Though I'm not as nervous as you, I usually look at plankton or jellies or any other small (teeny tiny) animals that swim by in the deep blue to pass the time... I dive in the Philippines so I don't know what animals there are to look at in the blue over there but here I get entertained by the stuff that floats around in the ocean :)

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to SCUBA, I'm AOW qualified with the SAA, I qualified in October. I have done about 30 dives, of which about 20 are post qualifying.

I've done about 3 sea dives and this weekend, myself, my partner (we qualified together, he's done about 40 dives) and three or so members of our dive club are going on a boat trip into UK waters. The others on the trip are instructors, though this is not a training dive. My instructor, who is not going feels I have the skills to go and that I will enjoy it. I also trust myself with my kit, skills and ability to stay in my training capabilities unless specifically "under instruction". However, I am terrified! I've a week to go and I'm already getting the nervous poops :(

I'm generally a nervous diver, though the nerves go once I'm below the surface and I am in control of myself. I am not reliant on my buddy and don't bolt to the surface and stick to my buddy like glue (no wandering off following pretty fish for me!). I'm also worried about ruining dives for the more experienced ones if they feel they have to look after me.

I'd welcome any tips for keeping calm and addressing my nerves. I'll also mention I'm terrified of boats, and not being able to see the bottom! (great choice of hobby!) But once I'm under water I'm happy as larry till the safety stop staring into the blue abyss!

Sounds pretty normal for anyone with a healthy sense of self-preservation. As you noted, your fear seems to stem from a sense of not being in control ... and once you establish a feeling of being in control, you're fine.

My guess is that once you've done this a few more times, that fear will go away. So to be in control, try making a "checklist" ... either mental or physical ... of each thing you need to do to get yourself into the water, and at that place where you feel fine. Then follow the checklist ... step by step ... it will help provide that sense of control until you reach your "happy" place. And once you do it a few times, you'll come to realize that you don't need the checklist anymore ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom