scared much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Join the club...not the first and not the last. Wait til you go and feel responsible for your dive buddy especially if it is a loved one... Folks gave you sound advices here and I will just add my .02 pennies here....we get apprehensive if we are about to do things we hate doing because of our limited skill sets in certain areas and fear we might fail miserably, we fear certain things or creatures because we despised them, (snakes, rats, etc), they inflict pain or represent danger to ourself, things we have no control over (fear of height) or simply because they are unknown to us and/or not having those before (flying, skydiving,etc).

My advices...keep your mind busy about things you have control over. Equipment is a good start. You could produce a checklist and go through it to ensure you have all the equipment that you will be requiring and pack in a logical sense.

2) The unknown...attempt to obtain maximum information about that dive. If there is a schematic of the site, obtain a copy and go through it by yourself then go through it with your buddy well before the dive. A good excuse as any to meet for a pint. Memorize the details or plasticise them. What type of a dive is it going to be...everybody off then follow the lead or pairs diving on their own. If it is the latter...start planning your dive in a logical and easy to remember sequence based on your qualifications, your equipment, you and buddy gas usage, you and buddy comfy level and what you would like to see or accomplish.

As for the dive...first time on site...follow the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. Remember, you control that dive and not the other way around. If starting at a mooring line start your exploration by diving straight line following recognizable features, take a bearing, venture a comfortable distance, come back to mooring line, do same in other directions, etc. If it is a wreck...do same, simple plan and follow it. Do not attempt to cover the entire site all at once.

As for the fear of ruining the dive of others...I have also seen less experienced divers do just the opposite...save the dive of most experienced divers who forgot to bring enough weight, a mask, a save a dive kit (orings, straps, etc), find a lost or dropped item...It is a big community and we are only humans after all.

Oh, I forgot...have fun because that's why we do this...to meet people, visit new places and have fun. I would not say the same about going to the.........dentist.

As for the fear of ruining the dive of others...

Oh, now there's a thought that I'm glad you brought up ... it is so common for newer divers to have this fear, and they put pressure on themselves sometimes to go beyond what that little "voice" in their head tells them is prudent.

Listen to your inner voice. Don't put pressure on yourself because you're afraid to ruin someone else's dive ... stay in your comfort zone. Be honest with your dive buddy about where that is ... and if it in any way bothers them, that's an indication that you've perhaps not chosen the right dive buddy.

Most experienced divers will tell you that the easiest way to ruin their dive is to stress yourself out, as it amplifies any little mistakes and increases the potential for a rescue scenario. So they won't really want you to put yourself in that place.

Communicating your apprehensions with your dive buddy is not only a great way to resolve those apprehensions ... but also to find out where your buddy's priorities are. They should be with keeping the stress level of the team to a minimum ... because everybody has more fun that way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your response. I talked through my fears with a few of the guys going and there response was basically "You'll be fine". Not because they will look after me but because they genuinely think I am a diver with the right skills to do this trip. It really boosted my confidence and helped to quell some of my fears. We also talked though the dives a bit more, and I was told we would be hitting 30m max, because some of the group are on Nitrox.

I am also going to look into some counselling for my anxiety and fear, because it is starting to impact on my life in a negative way, rather than keeping me safe like it should.

I will let you know how the weekend goes, and thanks again for all your help.

You sound like a diver I'd like to dive with. Your worries were prudent and you have properly addressed them. It is the person who isn't worried (or at least thoughtful) about the dive that scares me.
And as someome who has been doing this since the late 60s I can honestly say a thoughtful diver like yourself will never "ruin" a dive for me or most experienced divers.
Enjoy your dives and let us know how it went.

I'm also worried about ruining dives for the more experienced ones if they feel they have to look after me.

That is the last thing you need concern yourself with.

Every diver that chooses to buddy with you should understand your level of experience and comfort. You are a team and should any member of that team decide to end the dive.. it ends. You owe no one either an apology nor explanation.

Even the most experienced divers have times when things "just don't feel right".

Only an insensitive bore would think you "ruined" their dive.

Everyone is there to have fun.

Relax and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom