Scare in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is from SSI Training Standards

Try Scuba Diving Standards
(Confined Water/Open Water)

The maximum depth of dives for participants 10 and
11 years of age is 20 feet (6 metres). The maximum
depth of dives for individuals over the age of 12 is 40
feet (12 metres).

:hijack: Definition please. Does this mean that the bottom must be less than 40 feet from the surface or the group can swim over the abyss as long as they stay above the 40 foot mark? I assume the latter but one is definitely safer (although possibly unrealistic in areas) than the other option.

This is from SSI Training Standards

Try Scuba Diving Standards
(Confined Water/Open Water)

The maximum depth of dives for participants 10 and
11 years of age is 20 feet (6 metres). The maximum
depth of dives for individuals over the age of 12 is 40
feet (12 metres).

:hijack: Definition please. Does this mean that the bottom must be less than 40 feet from the surface or the group can swim over the abyss as long as they stay above the 40 foot mark? I assume the latter but one is definitely safer (although possibly unrealistic in areas) than the other option.

The diver cannot go deeper than the 40 foot mark. With that said as a dive leader it is your responsibility to keep them safe and within that standard. I would not take them over the abyss.

Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that the PADI limit for the diver after the DSD/"resort" cours is 60 feet?

This looks like a good place to sit and wait for a PADI instructor to come along and confirm or refute this.

Don't shoot me if I am wrong.........

Ready! Aim! Fire! :ar15: :comeandgetsome:

Either way it is scary if not done properly. I would hope that strict rules are in place about numbers per Instructor (i.e. ONE would be the only safe'sh number IMHO)......but that is a thread hijack by me. Ooops

Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that the PADI limit for the diver after the DSD/"resort" cours is 60 feet?

Isn't 60 feet ( 20 meters ) maximum depth for OW certified divers, and resort divers should not be allowed deeped than 15 feet ( 5 meters ) ?

:coffee: Pulled out my PADI Open Water diver manual

Maximum depth for "Scuba Divers" : 12 meters / 40 feet
Maximum depth for "Open Water Divers" : 18 meters / 60 feet
Maximum depth for "Advance Open Water Divers" : 30 meters / 100 feet
Maximum depth for recretional diving : 40 meters / 130 feet

Keep in mind that this table is applicable for "regular air" diving.

Glad you are all okay. It must have been terrifying to be left out there - not to mention a storm to add to it!
It is so unfortunate to hear stories like this. When I first started diving I put far too much trust in all dive operations and DMs. There are some real dud operations out there and I recommend that anyone looking to dive with an operation look for references and research resources such as this board to limit your risks. A rule of thumb I use is "would I let me child dive with this individual/operation?"
I agree with a prior post... If you can't name the operation at this point- possible to tell us where you had dinner that night??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom