Scare in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess my original post left out to many details. I was trying to make the story short. Here are additional facts:

The dive boat was a 36 foot vessel, not equipped with a gps, which of course we did not realize until after they lost us. The boat pilot would find the wreck site by the compass heading from resort, once he was off the location he had no reliable way to find the site again. Which of course is ridiculous, but that was their story.

The coast guard was called, and showed up about 2 minutes after we were rescued by our dive boat.

After meetings with top management at the resort, the boat pilot was terminated, they went out and borrowed gps equipment for the boat, until the equipment they ordered the following day would arrive.

We all did negotiate a small settlement for each one of the divers while we were at the resort, and that's why I can't name them. But after thinking about it for this time, I don't think it was enough, and am considering further action. I believe this is the only true way for them to fix their operations.

I argued that the instructors should be terminated also, mainly for losing a man. But I believe in the end they were probably only disciplined. I still have no idea how they lost him. The 2 instructors that were in the water with us were pretty unprofessional, exhibited little leadership in the water, but did do what I would call a half ass job reassuring the other divers that the boat would return. I personally did not have much faith that he would find us, we are talking about a boat pilot that is so incompetent that he starts his engines with divers below to try to find a $10 buoy and then loses his position....I did not believe that we would be found by him, my hopes were pinned on the Coast Guard, but at the time I didn't even know if the island had a Coast Guard.

I believe they are U.S. based, they have offices in the U.S. and the islands but I think the corporation is U.S. based.

Here is a short scary story for you all. I was diving 3 weeks ago in the carribbean at a major resort, about 4 miles out on a wreck in about 60 feet of water. Almost all the divers where on their first resort dive( 7 people) We went down for around 20-30 minutes when the instructor signaled for everyone to surface.

Another question: Why are non-certified "resort Dive"' divers going down to 60 feet? My first few dives were "resort" dives, and I remember the Divemaster that accompanied us (my son, nephew and I) kept us to about 30' max. I remember he was adamant that we would not go below 40' under any circumstances.

Does anyone know what -if any- restrictions are on "resort dives"

Another question: I knwo you can't name the resort, but can you name the Island/country?

Wow...

resort dives sometimes scare the willies out of me. I happened to be diving on a boat with two and was appalled at the depth, the dog paddling and the lack of buoyancy control exhibited by the divers. As I was talking to them on our SI I found out that they were not certified and were doing a resort course in 80 fsw of water. I was sold that 80fsw in the Caribbean was like 40fsw elsewhere. Ya... that blew my mind.

On further discussion with the owner of the resort, it appeared that he had NO idea that this was happening. Supposedly it has been changed. I sure hope so.

It is scary some of the "laxidaisical" approaches you can find to Scuba instruction (and just diving) around the world if we just look. Not everyone is like this but it is scary just how many are willing to break or stretch rules when the desire strikes. It is good that the captain in this example got fired and also good that the procedures have changed in Pete's example.

As for the DM/Instructor's getting fired....who knows. Was the person that was lost a student or were they a certified diver that just wandered away from the group. I agree that it falls onto the DM to watch a certified diver however I do not feel it is their responsibility to make sure they do not break away from the group. A certified diver should have the basic training to know what to do and when to do it. Going off on your own in strange waters with a current.....one of those things I was taught not to do.

If in fact it was a student then I agree that this person should be either severely reprimanded or fired. That is like a babysitter misplacing a baby.....how do you think the parents would react when they got home?

Thank you for clarification on the legal issue. :) Too bad you can't name these people but I totally understand now why. Depending on the document you signed for the settlement you may have no re-course. However, many attorney's do not charge for a consult so it may be worth it to sit down with one and see what they think.

As for the rest of it.... I am in shock. That captain was out of his mind, as you clearly already know. I am assuming you don't know for a fact if they have ordered gps equipment and cleaned up their act?

So far I've found three threads started by ehallman about this incident, one specifically names the operator.

This incident has a similar feel to it as the SoCal incident/lawsuit involving the Sun Diver several years ago where a diver was left adrift for 4 hours. A trial was to be held this past July I believe, but there's been no word. It was most likely tossed or settled. My guess? Tossed.

A $100 handheld marine VHF radio in a $40 Dive Buddy Communications Equipment container (rated to 50m) would have eliminated this incident and the majority of diver adrift incidents in developed areas. In undeveloped areas you'd need to replace the VHF radio with a 406MHz worldwide EPIRB ($500 to $600).

So far I've found three threads started by ehallman about this incident, one specifically names the operator.

Hmmm, profile only says two and none name. Either way, it is clear now why he isn't/can't name them, as unfortunate as it is. I see why the first thread didn't get his questions answered - it was in intro's. This is definitely a much better forum for his questions.

I'll stand corrected. His wife started the other thread.

Off to work. Got to get ready for a non-diving related court case on Monday.

I know everyone wants to know the name of the place, but I can't disclose it at this time for legal reasons....

So don't tell us the name... instead, tell us the nice place you visited next to them! As in, what was the name and address of that place?

Ken

We all did negotiate a small settlement for each one of the divers while we were at the resort, and that's why I can't name them. But after thinking about it for this time, I don't think it was enough, and am considering further action.

That's going to be a tough job for your lawyer. They call them "full and final" settlements (the fancy legal word is res judicata) for a reason. Good for you for bringing disturbing conduct like that to the attention of the diving community though. I sincerely hope that this didn't occur in the British Virgin Islands. I like to think our dive operators are a cut above.

Back
Top Bottom