scar tissue &DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surge1

Registered
Reaction score
I have had some surgery in the past. One was for removal of an epidermoid cyst on the brain stem in 1989. I have logged over 1000 dives since and dove to over 100 feet on at least 100 dives with no problems. A few years ago, I had another procedure because I developed a CSF leak into my right middle ear as result of an erosive process from an improper meningeal closer from the first surgery. Everything went fine and I am no longer leaking. I have dove hundreds of times since, even to 125 feet with no problems. As long as I dive conservatively (well within limits) ,I feel that I am not really at an increased risk. Some say that I should have given up diving but to me, that's like asking to give up something that makes life worth living. It's my number one passion.

surge1 once bubbled...
<snip> Everything went fine and I am no longer leaking. <snip>

uhmmm ... congratulations, I think :)

As I understand it (and I'm sure that the real experts will check in on this discussion at some point) blood circulation is the main issue. As long as scar tissue isn't impairing your circulation then I don't see why you would need to be concerned about increased DCS risk.

We have a student right now who appears to have been stabbed 1/2 dozen times with a knife and our doctor cleared him for diving. I don't see why it would be any different with an operation.

R..

I would think that that a stabbing victim would have much more scarr tissue than I. I do feel that I am not at an increased risk since I have dove many times since, and had no incidents. I appreciate all info. on this matter since I have been warned by some that I might be at risk.

I have, end-to-end, over six feet of scars from various injuries and surgeries, and that's just the ones on the surface!
The biggest one (and most of the internal scar tissue as well) is from 1968. No problems.
Rick

Dear Surge1:

I have never seen any real evidence that scar tissue will cause DCS problems for a diver.:mean:

Dr Deco :doctor:

I think that you are right. I think that those that warned me were well intending but overalarmed. I have read about concern regarding the poor off gassing potential of scar tissue but where are the case studies of those divers with scar tissue and DCS?

Hello,

I have a good 10 pounds of scar tissue from a botched surgery and posted this very same question to numerous 'authorities' the general consensus seems to be there is a "theoretical" possibility of scar tissue causing off gassing problems but to date there is no proof to support this theory. I have looked into this issue very serious and my surgeon calls BS on anyone who makes the claim.

Ed

I have had 2 major abdominal surgeries in the last 2 yrs. I have a huge upside down "T" shaped scar from the bottom of my breatbone that meets the line from hip to hip. My surgeon cleared me to dive without hesitation and he know full well what is involved since he is a diver himself.

Hope it helps,
Laurel
:royal:

Thank you

It does make me feel better that the general consensus is that it's OK for me to dive.

surge1 once bubbled...
Thank you
It does make me feel better that the general consensus is that it's OK for me to dive.
Well, it's ok for your scar tissue to dive... as for the rest of you... ?
Not enough information.
E. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom