Scapa Flow without Tech-ing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen someone do a full weeks diving in Scapa in a semi-dry. They seemed comfortable enough but I wouldn't recommend it. Also they were on the Sunrise which has a completely covered deck so they were never exposed to the wind.

It depends how you define 'tech'. Drysuits, dSMBs, nitrox and planned stops dives are pretty much run of the mill recreational stuff for the average UK diver.

For me there are two things that define tech diving: decompression or trimix. My concern was that many of the best sights are beyond the scope of no-deco diving with air (or nitrox) i.e. what I call recreational diving. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. I just have to get into the drysuit side of things.

Regarding drysuits, is there any point doing a drysuit specialty? I'm wary of spending money on specialties that teach very little.

I have seen someone do a full weeks diving in Scapa in a semi-dry. They seemed comfortable enough but I wouldn't recommend it.

My buddy did his last dive in a semi-dry and enjoyed it, he was Scottish though so...

Personally I had to add insulation as the week went on.

To answer question about the specialty...it depends on the instructor, I found it worthwhile and a good instructor should make it so. I wouldn't have wanted to just hop in and figure out my drysuit on the way down.

Also get some practice deploying an SMB if that's not standard practice for you.

JellyKing:
Regarding drysuits, is there any point doing a drysuit specialty? I'm wary of spending money on specialties that teach very little.

JellyKing - depends whether you'll be able to take the suit you train in with you and how long between your training and diving at Scapa. Drysuits can have their own funny little "quirks" and you'd be better getting hold of a cheaper suit that you can dive of S.A with.

It also depends on what time of year you plan to visit as in late August early September you could do the majority of the wrecks in a top quality semi-dry as it sounds like you'll be limited by no-decompression anyway; though there's nothing like like that "creeping-chill" feeling on a 2nd dive to convince you to buy a drysuit. As mentioned, some of the boats offer better protection from the elements than others. You can experience all four seasons of the weather on Orkney in a 20 minute spell -including sleet in August!!

Personaly - I'd go for a tri-laminate drysuit ( a bit less weight when travelling) - you can always sell it after you return

One other bit of advice for Tom (Winters) make sure you leave a bit of time for sight-seeing on the Scottish mainland; Orkney has some wonderful history (from pre-history to the obvious modern) but it doesn't have some of the dramatic castles and scenery your wife may have in mind!

Back
Top Bottom