Scapa Flow without Tech-ing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JellyKing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ahoy,

I've read the other thread regarding Scapa Flow, and it seems to be more about getting there and the costs thereof. I'm wondering about how accessible the diving is without being a techie. I'm more keen on wrecks than reefs and wildlife, and so I'm really keen on making my way to Scapa Flow sometime.

I'm not planning on going anytime soon. By the time I do, I should be a PADI Divemaster with Nitrox and Deep specialties. Is that enough to make a worthwile amount of diving possible at Scapa Flow? There seem to be enough wrecks shallower than 30m, and I'll just have to grin and bear 12 minutes no-deco time if I want to see things at 35m. How deep do the major wrecks (e.g. Kronprinz Wilhelm sit)?

The other concern is whether a dry suit is necessary. I've done 20+ minutes in 8°C with my 5+7mm wetsuit several times and, though not ideal, I can handle it (though I'm not sure about repetitively). Is the water genuinely and consistently that cold (or worse)?

Thanks in advance,
30-30

If you don't have a drysuit don't go. The diving is accessible to anyone, and there are plenty of things to do that are less than 30m. The "classic" wrecks can be dark and difficult but there is so very much more to the area.

Chris

Second that on the drysuit. Have done more than 1,000 coldwater dives - incl. the Arctic - and have never felt so "bitterly" cold as in Scapa, and it was only 8degsC.

Good diving, nad you can do the big ships without breaking 40m. Most are 28 - 33 if you stay off the bottom and go along the hull/gunwales.

You'll enjoy it.

But get that drysuit first!!!!

Seadeuce

Scapa Flow is --->so on my list.
My wife wants to go to Scotland and look at castles and stuff like hills. Oh boy...old buildings and geographical formations.
We have some interesting discussions about this.
There's the Ireland discussions too. I just want to go there and surf.

I wanna dive the German Fleet sometime.

Did Scapa a year or two ago, dived all the main wrecks on a single with no problems. Max depth on the Krone Prince Willhelm was 42m. The best wrecks are thr cruisers and they all bottom out between 28 - 35m. You dont need to go tec, but Nitrox does help if you want to stay clear of deco.

We dived late September after a good summer and the water was just 14 deg C, so you do really need a drysuit. Top side stuff is great too, The Orkney isles are beautiful, wild and unspoilt.

I'd say its not diveable without a drysuit. Especially doing multi day/multi dives.

I wouldn't consider Dry Suit to be Tech. Some of the Depths is a different story though

Depende on your definition of "Tec". All the dives we did were using a single 12ltr with a 3 ltr pony, single mix nitrox with deco on back gas. Thats a pretty typical dive profile for diving over here.

Sounds about what we do on Jersey dives.

Back
Top Bottom