Suggestion SB Staff Icon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
cornfed

cornfed

Mindless lemming
Reaction score
I like the "SB Staff" icon you guys are using. It was becoming difficult to tell who was a moderator and the icon is much better then the colored names you were using for a while.

Thanks cornfed! Nearly every major "group" has an icon now with more to come in the future.

Out of curiousity, what are these major groups? So far I've seen...

-SB Staff
-Greeter
-Doctor
-Instructor

Are there others? I wouldn't mind seeing something to I.D. our photo experts, other medical pro's, educators, and scientists (hint hint). :eyebrow:

We have buttons for authors, business users, doctors, greeters, instructor, singles, staff, and a few others coming soon. There is no reason why we can't add more though :wink:

Tech Admin:
There is no reason why we can't add more though :wink:
Here's a reason: the more you add the less visible they are. If everyone has something under their name they will start getting lost in the noise. I think certain categories, eg staff, are important but denoting people as single, a photographer, etc will likely detract from the value of the other icons. If you feel there is some way you'd like to distinquish yourself why not use the text under your screen name?

I agree with cornfed. The current setup of only Staff/higher-ups with icons/buttons is good. Add too many, and there's no point to them. I can quickly come to the point where people without the buttons will be distinct, instead of the other way around. Non-staff should stick with changing text under the screen name or adding something to their signature line.

cornfed:
If you feel there is some way you'd like to distinquish yourself why not use the text under your screen name?

The reason I do NOT like (from an information standpoint) the customized titles underneath the names are because the user can change them to anything he/she wants, anytime. Folks can also supply false titles to themselves, not like I've seen that happen. It's fun and often amusing, but not very useful from an information standpoint.

The new blue bars however denote members with specific scuba and/or scuba board related tasks (I don't know about "instructor" though). From an assistance and services standpoint, these titles are quite useful. This is why I like them, and what I assume they're there for.

Therefore, for folks on the board that contribute certain expertises (i.e. the medical folks, pro photographers, instructors, law enforcement, educators, certified skippers, etc.) and/or duties (mods, greeters, board support), the blue bars are an invaluable tool for members to quickly identify those folks. I LOVE this new feature! So as long as the blue bars stick to what I believe is it's true purpose (somebody correct me otherwise), I'm all for adding a few more relevant designations... like the scientist one oh please oh please. Mummy would be SO proud.

archman, you have hit it on the nose (or the fin as the case may be)! I've got a lot to do but I will see that we add more bars in the future for more of our user groups.

Arch...the only problem I can see is anyone could claim to be a scientist, pro photographer, educator, etc. but without providing qualified credentials in order to get such a blue button, what's the difference from the user titles? Yes, some will gladly produce those credentials but some won't and will be offended when asked to do so. Plus, the Mods and Staff have enough to do now without verifying all the catagories you suggest. It's easy to veryify the DM's and Instructors for that forum. But others would be very difficult.

cornfed:
...If you feel there is some way you'd like to distinquish yourself why not use the text under your screen name?....
speaking of which, how is this achieved? I have been through the UserCP options and cannot find the option for the life of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom