SB sellers-why shipping not included?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes, a seller will part with an item at a below-market price just for the satisfaction of seeing a newer diver enjoy the item that the seller got so much enjoyment out of. I have been on both ends of that. "Paying it forward." Buy quality gear and keep it in circulation!

I have been on both ends of that paradigm. I am happy to be on the giving end. Before moving back to the US, I parted with nearly all of my whitewater kayaking gear. a father and his young son walked away with over $2000 in gear including 2 boats in great condition for only 300 euros. It was liberating to be rid of it all and heartwarming to "pay it forward".

That being said, the prices people often ask for their used suits and reg sets both here and on facebook marketplace often seem a bit ridiculously high given the age of their stuff and how much it would cost new.

-Z

An item can have the same listed price but sell in different tax jurisdictions.

What does that have to do with a how an individual store indicates prices for their items?

I can understand with internet sales that may be an issue, but why/how would that matter in a brick and mortar shop?

-Z

What does that have to do with a how an individual store indicates prices their items?

I can understand with internet sales that may be an issue, but why/how would that matter in a brick and mortar shop?

-Z
They list at manufacturers retail price.

So the question is pretty much why people behave the way they do, right?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha cough cough wheeze belch prrrrft ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Funny
Reactions: Ana
Why must the average person "know" there are taxes? What is wrong with just indicating the total price of an item before the point of sale?

In Europe, the tax is included in the stated price, and it is usually broken out on the receipt, so the "average person" is informed...as if they would not know.

Why is the US and Canada so uniquely complicated in regards to this?

-Z
Do tell. What is the tax rate on purchases where you are?

Do tell. What is the tax rate on purchases where you are?
where I am or where I live?

Currently I am working on a project in Japan....the tax rate on goods, known as "consumption tax" seems to be 10%.

Where I live in the US, the sales tax rate is 8.5%

I lived in Europe and Africa for the 12 years prior to this past May and the tax rate, known as "VAT -value added tax" was 19% to 22% depending on the country.

I am unclear how any of that information lends itself to why the prevailing practice in the US and Canada is to add the tax at the point of sale instead of marking the item or shelf with the total "out the door" cost.

-Z

They list at manufacturers retail price.
Yes, I understand what they do...its a question of understanding why the price listed on the item/shelf does not include the tax.

Internet reading explains the practice stems from that some US states forbid the inclusion of the sales tax in the displayed price of an item. Where this is not required, the incentive would be to display the lowest price to psychologically leverage a sale.

This just fortifies the notion I stated earlier that the US and Canada are uniquely complicated in this regard, and I will add unnecessarily complicated as well.

-Z

Here is a good quick example of someone asking way too much for their used gear:

-Z

Yes, I understand what they do...its a question of understanding why the price listed on the item/shelf does not include the tax.

Internet reading explains the practice stems from that some US states forbid the inclusion of the sales tax in the displayed price of an item. Where this is not required, the incentive would be to display the lowest price to psychologically leverage a sale.

This just fortifies the notion I stated earlier that the US and Canada are uniquely complicated in this regard, and I will add unnecessarily complicated as well.

-Z
I will agree that it is different than Europe, and can seem more complicated to somebody from the EU, but disagree that it is unnecessarily different than what you are accustomed to.

One might argue that because of historical circumstances allowing the formation of a single United States of America, the practice of separating the price of a good from the taxes paid on that hood is a historically necessary practice.

I will agree that it is different than Europe, and can seem more complicated to somebody from the EU, but disagree that it is unnecessarily different than what you are accustomed to.

One might argue that because of historical circumstances allowing the formation of a single United States of America, the practice of separating the price of a good from the taxes paid on that hood is a historically necessary practice.

Holy s#$t there is a lot to dissect here....are you blaming price display laws and practices in the 21st century to the late 1700 events that led to the Boston Tea Party and American Revolution? That is the most asinine thing I have read in just about FOREVER.

And what are you on about with "unnecessarily different than what you are accustomed to."???
I was born and raised in the United States, served 20 years in our military which afforded me the awesome opportunity to not only see the world but live in different parts of it.

I am TOTALLY accustomed to the prevalent practices of how sales tax is applied around the US (especially having travelled in/through 49 of the 50 states).

Based on the aggregate of my experiences in the US and the rest of the world, I can unequivocally state that the US goes about this in an unnecessarily complicated way.

Hey, but keep going, because this has become super amusing.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom