SB sellers-why shipping not included?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds cheaper if you price it without shipping...and you can always hope someone local buys it.
Indeed. A seller in Florida, for example, is likely to find a buyer in Florida or nearby. A seller in parts of the country far from diving might as well include shipping in the price.

I sold a BC once for $35. The buyer lived in Australia. It cost me $40 to ship it. That was the last time I included shipping.
Ouch. Well, maybe it's best to say in the ad "price includes shipping within CONUS."

Here are some other questions that deserve some thought:
Why is tax added to the price of goods at the register instead of on the shelf tag or the tag on the item?

Why do stores price things at uneven dollar values (e.g.,$25.97, $32.99)?

Why do Americans expect to get so much for their old used dive gear? I have seen ads on this board for used drysuits that are 12 to 16 years old and the asking prices were $1000+. In Europe people are much more realistic about the price they expect for used equipment.

Inquiring minds want to know.

-Z

Here are some other questions that deserve some thought:
Why is tax added to the price of goods at the register instead of on the shelf tag or the tag on the item?

Why do stores price things at uneven dollar values (e.g.,$25.97, $32.99)?

Why do Americans expect to get so much for their old used dive gear? I have seen ads on this board for used drysuits that are 12 to 16 years old and the asking prices were $1000+. In Europe people are much more realistic about the price they expect for used equipment.

-Z
The tax is added at the register so the average person knows there are taxes.
$25.97 sounds like $25
If nobody wants to pay the price the seller is wasting their time. If they are getting the money, why not?

-Z
Thank you. When I sell a used item, I begin the price at 50% of what I paid, then add or subtract based on age and use of the product. Many times I felt that I already got my money's worth and sell an item for next to nothing. I see sellers on Ebay asking full retail for used items.

The tax is added at the register so the average person knows there are taxes.
$25.97 sounds like $25
If nobody wants to pay the price the seller is wasting their time. If they are getting the money, why not?

Why must the average person "know" there are taxes? What is wrong with just indicating the total price of an item before the point of sale?

In Europe, the tax is included in the stated price, and it is usually broken out on the receipt, so the "average person" is informed...as if they would not know.

Why is the US and Canada so uniquely complicated in regards to this?

-Z

Sometimes, a seller will part with an item at a below-market price just for the satisfaction of seeing a newer diver enjoy the item that the seller got so much enjoyment out of. I have been on both ends of that. "Paying it forward." Buy quality gear and keep it in circulation!

Why must the average person "know" there are taxes? What is wrong with just indicating the total price of an item before the point of sale?

In Europe, the tax is included in the stated price, and it is usually broken out on the receipt, so the "average person" is informed...as if they would not know.

Why is the US and Canada so uniquely complicated in regards to this?

-Z
An item can have the same listed price but sell in different tax jurisdictions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom