SB regulars should respect "flame free zones"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a more serious note, I think what scubaboard has really succeeds in is creating a "small" extended family/community sort of thing. Kinda like a dive club or university program. After a while you just know everyone by face (in this case their name & avatar) even if you don't know them personally. Eventually you'll be able to recall spot on how some posters respond to certain questions.

I'm sure if virtual reality were available and we could see each other in the form of a moving-talking avatar, we'd be more open to joking and jabbing at one another while still keeping with one of the foundations of the board: discussing and passing on knowledge.

But unfortunately you can't read sarcasm or friendly banter, which is why we have emoticons :D.
I'm sure none of use really intend any malice when we shoot down certain repetitive questions. And in fact the only times I ever see it happen is when the same question pops up 2-3 times within the same month (which really doesn't happen all to often considering).

To summarize what my uni instructor always says on the first day of Basic OW:
"I joke around a lot, the TA's joke around a lot. If for any reason I make a joke towards you, feel free to send it right back 10-fold. And if you feel uncomfortable for any reason, let it be known. What we're trying to do here is create a family; a community where everyone's comfortable to be apart of."

And in any case, opinions change. You can't read a 2006 post and expect it to cover for 2012. Equipment changes, as does our diving education.

So to everyone, feel free to post away.
Although googling "site:scubaboard.com question" doesn't hurt. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom