SB regulars should respect "flame free zones"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

SB is a great place. I came here a few years ago and learned MUCH from many of you - thank you all.

This comment mostly pertains to SB regulars. Many, or most of you are very patient with newbs - that is to be commended. However, at times, I feel that some of the regulars (myself included) fail to respect flame free zones. This is easy to understand - how many times do you want to search out and copy your 100 replies from "what camera to buy" when the darned newb could have searched it out just as easily?! New divers are usually new to SB and may not be comfortable with web searches. They cannot be assumed to have the same knowledge as more experienced divers have. If you bother to reply to their post, please take the time to not only give the correct answer, but also mention why the answer is correct (in your opinion) and explain your reasoning - it will educate the newb and make them more likely to participate in SB in the future.

Cheers,

Crush

So um, what camera should I buy?

Anyway, I don't mind a question being asked a million times. This goes for any board I am on, or any I moderate. If no one asks the questions over and over, then how will the board get traffic? I like an active community. Heck, I just asked something that has probably been asked a million times regarding iPad dive logs.

Now about that camera............

Thank you Crush for the most appropriate reminder. It is in fact a privilege to be able to post, to read, and to enjoy this terrific website. To ask for civility and good manners in return seems a small price to pay. If you need to vent, or go off on someone you don't even know, then get your own website or write your own book!
DivemasterDennis

Most SB posters are helpful to new members, I frequently see post where the thread starter has only one post and asks a question. The same 20 posters that have answered the question numerous times before, post their answers again for the new member.

Should I O2 clean my Nitrox Spare air? :fruit:

Stop that ;-)

Most of us were treated patiently and helpfully as newbies, it helped a lot. So we (should) pay it forward, both in new-diver forums and especially on the dive boats.

So many of the new questions are about gear. (My opinion follows here) Almost all gear works fine, it gives you breathable air underwater, your fins help propel you, your BC inhales and exhales too. So don't worry about "perfect" gear to start with, I found "pretty good" gear works fine.

So I'll refrain from tapping my foot at the FAQs or "telling" someone what to buy or do.

Of course, *if* I did:

Get AOW after 25 dives, Rescue after 50.
Put your snorkel in your pocket after 70 dives.
Do 20 dives working tables, then switch to computer before your air use gets efficient enough that nitrogen, not tank pressure, is the reason you begin ascent.
Octo not Air 2.
No Spare Air (or wire hangers) ever.
No camera til you've finished Rescue.

Sorry, couldn't resist..

I had been lurking for quite a while and finally joined. I have to admit I don't post half the stuff I want just from a fear of being flamed. Thank you for the reminder.

Thanks for "putting a face" on this issue, moparmandjh. I hope that I haven't offended you in the past. There on some frequent posters on SB who have the patience of saints. I do not. I often find it tempting to just blurt out "you are wrong, the answer is..." rather than "I have a different point of view, in my opinion the answer is... because..." as the latter takes longer. There is tons of great advice on SB. Sometimes (in the minority of cases) the regulars forget to put on kid gloves in flame-free zones.

FWIW I agree with nolatom - most divers don't go past basic OW. For such divers, your gear setup really doesn't matter all that much. Your gear may not be optimized for diving, but with only basic OW, neither are you.

I had been lurking for quite a while and finally joined. I have to admit I don't post half the stuff I want just from a fear of being flamed. Thank you for the reminder.

moparmandjh,

Post away and don't worry.

If you feel that you are being "flamed" or "dumped on" for posting your question or contributing to a discussion, hit the "report" button on the post that concerns you. Let the Moderators look at it and take the appropriate action themselves. They will contact you regarding what is done (or not done).

That is much better than responding with a "snot-o-gram" back to that poster - have you noticed that is when threads often go sideways?

Keep in mind what forum you are in. Ones indicated as Green Zones are to be kept flame free and friendly just as Crush mentioned in his first post (thanks Crush by the way). Other forums allow much more "intensity" in the discussions.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom