SB liveaboard Asia trip 2007.........Komodo, Indonesia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
So who would be interested in this? The plan is to annually charter an entire liveaboard diveboat for SB members and dive top class destinations around the world. In the first instance this is a 6day/7night trip to the Komodo area in Indonesia aboard the M/V Mermaid 1. The exact date still has to be decided but most likely at the present is the last week of July 2007.
Info about the Mermaid 1 and it's normal Komodo itinerary can be found here:
http://www.mermaid-liveaboards.com/

By chartering the boat we will have control on which sites we want to go to, how many times we dive them (this could be extra dives over and above what they would normally do). While they normally plan 20 dives/trip we should be able to do many more if we want. We will also receive a deal on the price of Nitrox fills - normally $5/tank. I'm not sure exactly what deal they'll offer yet - but it will be less.

Our group would pay $100 less than the quoted prices for the trip from this year, (next year prices will probably rise due to fuel costs).

Basically there will be 13 places available (I think) so I the choice of the different grades of accomodation will be on a first come first served basis. All accomodations are excellent though - I have been on the Mermaid 2 from this company which was great - the Mermaid 1 is even better - larger cabins, less divers.

The places will be:
Master cabin (for a couple) $2150pp - 1 cabin, 2 people
Single Deluxe $2150 - 1 cabin, 1 person
Deluxe (2 singles or a couple) $1750 - 3 Cabins, 6 people
Budget (2 singles or a couple) $1300 - 2 Cabins, 4 people

This will really be a great trip - the diving in this area is among the best in the world by most people's reckoning!
04.gif

Any questions...post them here and I'll get the answers! :D

Hi Kim,

FYI, the Mermaid 1 takes 15 divers. There are 4 deluxe (twin or double) cabins, 1 master double bed, 1 single cabin and 2 budget twin cabins.

The trips are great, just note (for anyone who doesn't realise) there's quite a lot of steaming to do compared to a Similan trip for example. From Bali to Komodo is more than 400km. My colleague Ingo used to work on these trips on Mermaid 1, and says it takes more than 20 hours cruising each way!

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks Jamie...

Yes....there's a total of 15 divers...I have 13 open spaces...

The round trip is quite far but it's not like you only dive in Komodo though right? Presumably we do most of the cruising at night as well.

I just hope that we get enough interest as it will be a very fun trip if the whole boat is from SB.

As with other boats doing the same kind of route (like the Komodo Dancer), Mermaid departs in the afternoon, and cruises pretty much right through to the next morning. You might stop on the way at Sangeang for example, but Komodo is the main destination. Hope you fill her up!

Given the 20 hour steaming time both ways would it not be better either,
adding 1 day to the trip or,
and I think this would be better,
move the boat without divers down to the area and fly the divers down so they get 6 or 7 days diving at the destination.

Currently divers would lose 2 days diving to travelling or only have 3 days at the destination location.

Unfortunatly July / August next year is not possible but maybe next time.

victor:
Given the 20 hour steaming time both ways would it not be better either,
adding 1 day to the trip or,
and I think this would be better,
move the boat without divers down to the area and fly the divers down so they get 6 or 7 days diving at the destination.

Currently divers would lose 2 days diving to travelling or only have 3 days at the destination location.

Unfortunatly July / August next year is not possible but maybe next time.
If you check the itinerary using the link I provided you'll see that saying there is only 3 days diving is simply not true! :wink:
This trip is a normal scheduled liveaboard trip the Mermaid 1 does every week at this time of year. The difference is that by chartering the whole boat we can make slight adjustments...more dives/discounts etc. In principle though the published route will be the backbone of the trip.

Kim
you got me interested, you know.....
:D
But I ahve a lot of questions. First is the basic one - I don't want to do 4 or 5 dives per day - 3 is probably the maximum.
Will they provide doubles?????

Mania

mania:
First is the basic one - I don't want to do 4 or 5 dives per day - 3 is probably the maximum.
Will they provide doubles?????

Mania
None of it's tech so no doubles. They do have a few 15ltr tanks if you just want a large tank.

okie, dokie, I am interested. Can you please provide what airport I would need to fly into so I may get some quotes on flight costs?
I have found dive trips to be very reasonable in cost but flight cost are usually as much or more than the trip.
Also, generally what types of dives can we expect? i.e current, depth, etc. And I wont need any nitrox, I am a O2 guy all the way. And if mania doesnt want to do 5 dives a day, I wanna take his extra dives for him. My theory is, if I am flying around the world to experience a dive trip, I am going to take full advantage of it, wrinkled skin be damned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom